The Carbon Design System is IBM's open-source design system for products and experiences. Taking the IBM Design Language as our foundation, Carbon is working code, design tools and resources, and guidelines. All serving, and served by, a vibrant community of contributors.
As IBM's official design system, Carbon serves a wide range of designers and developers. We help anyone who's building digital products and experiences. Carbon improves the consistency and quality of IBM's user experiences. It makes the design and development process more efficient. It establishes a shared vocabulary between design and developer. And it provides clear guidance around design and development best practice.
Carbon's users are also its makers. We're guided by the principles of the open source movement. As a developer on Carbon's core team, you'll be playing a central role in building our ecosystem. You'll be building components and patterns that are modular and flexible. You'll be making sure accessibility and inclusiveness is central to everything we make. You'll be defining governance and technical specifications. You'll be working with teams throughout IBM to help them not only use Carbon, but contribute back to Carbon, too.
If you write disciplined front-end code, based on principles and philosophies that help you to build exceptional experiences, then we have a place for you. Everything you write will be open source. Check us out: http://www.carbondesignsystem.com/
* Work with designers and stakeholders to build a comprehensive, evolving, design system for use at enterprise scale.
* Help product teams use Carbon to build what they need, and help them contribute back to the system, too.
* Be a technical leader, driving architectural improvement, and demanding excellence in the product and in the team.
* Build components, templates and workflow patterns that are consumable and reusable.
* Pair program, and review other developers' code.
* Foster a culture of collaboration and contribution across a global community of developers.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
* HTML and CSS standards, structure and usage.
* 3+ years demonstrable delivery of high-performing, accessible, responsive web products, apps, or systems.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
* React development experience.
* Previous development work on component libraries and design systems.
* Experience with accessibility, and integrating a11y considerations into development practices.
* Usage of CSS preprocessors (Less or, preferably, Sass).
* Knowledge of performance optimization (load times, run times, analyzing/auditing to identify bottlenecks).
* NodeJS development environments.
* Understanding build tooling (Webpack, Rollup, Babel, etc)
* Experience using testing tools for both low-level unit tests, and e2e testing strategies.
* Familiarity with ESLint, Prettier.
* Experience setting up, managing, and using CI/CD toolchains.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree Commissionable: No
Key Job Details
* Category:Software Development & Support
* Required Education:High School Diploma/GED
* Position Type:Professional
* Employment Type:Full-Time
* Contract Type:Regular
* Req ID:222474BR
* Location:AUSTIN, TX US