The Cognition Design team seeks a Technical Designer to join a platform-focused team that creates design prototypes, tools, controls and patterns, and sample apps for Mixed Reality and Cognitive Services. You're a hands-on designer, rapid-prototyper, and coder, and have a strong body of work demonstrating your expertise in design for 3D experiences that include speech and vision input. You are skilled in designing for multimodal inputs, as well as the creation and styling of controls and patterns. You are prepared to challenge the boundaries of conventional user interface design to delight users in mixed reality. You have experience in Unity or equivalent game engines. And perhaps most importantly, you are passionate about engaging with designers and developers, online and offline, to create a great user experience for our customers.
* BA/BFA in 3D Design, Interaction design, services design, or equivalent industry experience.
* 3 + years Technical Design or Gameplay programmer experience working with Unity or an equivalent commercial game engine to design user interfaces for games, interactive experiences in AR/VR or apps, and speech/vision services.
* Expertise in Speech and Vision experiences and tools
* Design user interface systems that support Multimodal inputs.
* Create rapid prototypes to demonstrate the functionality of your design.
* Develop sample apps that enable creation of great user experiences in HoloLens and VR.
* Expertise in the following areas of User Experience design: Input, Interaction, Styling, Accessibility, Localization.
* Strong experience with asset and servcies implementation and workflows.
* Proficient with 3D software packages for asset creation
* Proficient with 2D creative tools
* Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Actively participates in Game Jams or Hack-a-thons.
Designed a User Interface in a Virtual or Augmented Reality product that has shipped.
Storyteller - proficient in storyboarding to showcase the end-to-end user experience.
Mobile App Development - You have created great experiences within the technical confines of a mobile platform.
Cloud Services - You can leverage the power of the cloud through service integration.
Multi-user/Multiplayer - You've created a Multi-user/Multiplayer experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Design and develop experiences, controls, guidance & patterns, tools, and sample apps for mixed reality and cognitive-services creators (devs and designers);
Rapidly prototype solutions to some of the most pressing design problems;
Craft user experience guidance & documentation through various mediums. Communicate and evangelize broadly to help creators bring their vision to life;
Work collaboratively within the Cognition design team and larger engineering org
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.