Are you a designer who is driven to make your ideas come to life through code? Or perhaps you're a front-end engineer who is passionate about the design process? If either of these descriptions sounds like you, we should chat. Microsoft is looking to recruit a talented Design Technologist to join the design studio in Microsoft's developer division. The Design Technologist will be dedicated to helping define, prove, advance and evolve the experiences we deliver in our products through creative prototypes and reference code. Additionally, this person will be asked to contribute to interaction design on small to medium-sized features, create tools for internal use, and occasionally contribute to shipping front-end code. The successful candidate will possess excellent front-end coding skills in a variety of languages, be an excellent problem solver, quick learner and strong collaborator, and will have strong interaction design skills.
The Design Technologist will act as a bridge between design and engineering, and can speak with credibility to either group. This person will offer input to the design team based on his or her understanding of the development platform, and will also offer input to engineering based on a deep knowledge of design patterns and requirements. Additionally, the DT will work closely with User Research as we evaluate our concepts with customers. This person will bring value to the team by creating strong relationships across teams, allowing us to collaborate more effectively.
We are looking for someone to join our team who is kind and collaborative and is able to work across all of the areas we cover, which include Visual Studio, Visual Studio for Mac, VS Code and Azure Developer tools. Your impact working on all these pieces will be felt by the millions of people that use our products everyday as well as by the millions of people still to discover them!
* 3-5 years' experience in a front-end development role, preferably within a UI team
* Deep understanding of at least one of the following (and at least a familiarity with one or more of the others):
* Web and App development tools and frameworks (eg. Node, Bootstrap, Angular, ReactJS, Vue, Electron, ReactNative, Swift)
* Responsive/Adaptive design
* An online portfolio of work demonstrating expertise creating great UX.
* Strong collaborator.
* Strong attention to visual detail and a passion for design.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a discipline related to visual design
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Scope and responsibilities
* Create working prototypes to demonstrate and evaluate desktop and web design concepts.
* Create reference code for engineering to use during front-end development.
* Collaborate with engineering to fix front-end and UI bugs during the shipping cycle.
* Create and evangelize internal tools for use by design, engineering, PM and research.
* Experience developing complex prototypes of well-designed user experiences.
* Experience in a collaborative, fast-paced, ambiguous design studio environment.
* Experience shipping high quality front-end code on world-class products.
* Strong understanding of the UX design process.
* Experience choosing the right tool for a prototyping job.
* A passion for people, with a demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaborate well with cross-functional teams
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.