Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we're on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We're the company behind the world's fastest satellite internet service, with technology that's helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
The Product Design Team Lead is responsible for creating amazing product user experiences. Managing a multi-disciplinary UX & Product Design Team, the Team Lead will work closely with Design, Product Management, Sales and Marketing and Engineering teams across a broad set of products and platforms.
We're looking for a passionate and innovative Design Team Lead to create a consistent user experience for all the Viasat products and services, from enterprise grade applications to consumer facing apps and services. Working across the whole design and user experience process from envisioning future concepts to defining user flows to detailed interaction designs and prototypes, user testing and assisting development teams with final implementation.
The Team Lead will find appropriate innovation opportunities for the team, help crystallize the problem space and guide the team to research, ideate and produce delightful customer experiences, outcomes and solutions. This role requires the ability to work at the macro big picture level whilst always maintaining a keen eye on the details.
* Lead and manage a team of a multi-disciplinary product design team with UX Research, UX / Product and Visual Designers to execute across all design stages from UX Research, requirements definition, wireframes, user flows and storyboards to defining detailed interaction and iterating high fidelity prototypes and final visual design production while ensuring the integrity of human-centered experiences, branding, and quality design is maintained throughout all projects.
* Reporting to the Head of Product Design, this role requires contributing and influencing design led thinking across the business, leading and creating human-centered experiences and product design processes throughout the organization, so that people know what it looks like when they see it.
* Recommend changes to UX team processes and establish procedures that affect the team and organization, methodologies and standards, output quality and results.
* Develop/mentor members of the team in order to better work with each other, as well as external teams/customers.
* Establish technical training goals/plans and ensure that they are both achieved and align with the company's strategic needs.
* Lead the coordination of the activities of the team with responsibility for results, including costs, methods and staffing.
* Keep abreast of trends and innovations in all forms of UX Design, Design Thinking and scaling Product Design within a Corporate environment and regularly shares inspiration with the broader team.
* Create and enforce standards/guides on the following, staying abreast of leading edge innovations, and communicate to the rest of the team.
* Work with inter-departmental leads to identify most appropriate talent within the product design team for integrated projects and manage the process to ensure cross departmental talent is being utilized at its strongest capacity.
* Identify and build external talent pool of people/partners that can be tapped into when projects require scale and/or specific skillsets are not available in house.
* Work on varied issues that require in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives.
* Exercise supervision in terms of costs, methods, and staffing.
* Establish operational objectives and delegate assignments to direct reports.
* Can absorb multiple, parallel efforts across the organization in order to identify common themes, and lead each of those disparate efforts to a common vision.
* Shape an environment that attracts great people and creates the conditions to do their best work.
* Act as hands-on mentor or coach to new user experience and product design focused employees.
* Participate in corporate development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people.
* Participate in design community conferences, meet-ups and events to promote Viasat and foster interest and collaboration within the broader design community.
* Collaborate with Sales & Marketing, Product Management and Engineering teams to define and implement innovative solutions for the product and services direction, interaction, user stories and flows and overall user experience.
* Ensure the quality of the product design team output - research, concept sketches, mock-ups, prototypes, layouts and UI components - can be easily interpreted and implemented by experienced software development teams.
* Conceptualize and iterate original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design problems. Good understanding of the agile software lifecycle and ability to communicate and engage with frontend and backend engineering teams to iterate and achieve the best solutions.
* Analyze, define and document strategies for multiple external and internal facing mobile platforms and web, from responsive web based apps to hybrid and fully native applications.
* Ideate, contribute and guide the Product Design teams deliverables including: Research objectives, Information Architecture (IA), user flows, wireframes, interaction design, rapid prototyping, high-fidelity visual designs and handover of assets for business and consumer facing products and services.
* Guide, support and balance team recommendations with research, analytics, usability testing, customer insights and other quantitative/qualitative insights as appropriate to advance ideas.
* Act as the user-advocate during the product development process, present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to the team and product stakeholders with an ability to see the big picture whilst maintaining careful attention to detail.
* Research interaction, design standards and technology trends. Evaluate competitor and other related products to ensure that our products are services adhere to best of breed usability and user experience standards in the market.
* Establish and promote guidelines for Research, UX/Interaction, UI and motion design patterns, best practices and standards for mobile and web based applications.
* Can lead and guide the following activities with minimal-to-no guidance: UX Research, Design Workshops, Defining Design briefs, Storyboarding, high & low fidelity prototyping.
* Manages their own schedule prioritizing projects and can scope and plan design activities and outputs within the team.
* 2+ years of a proven track record of leading a digital design team and delivering successful product and service experiences.
* 8+ years in-depth knowledge and experience of designing digital products & services within consumer applications, mobile, rich web apps/sites, Interactive media, telecommunications, and broadband industries.
* A Degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Digital Media, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Product Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Science or related field - or commensurate work experience.
* Strong portfolio outlining ideation process, design thinking, interaction and visual design across a wide range of enterprise and/or consumer user experiences
* Great sense, passion and understanding of UX Research, UX / Product, Service and Visual Design to deliver amazing physical and digital user experiences.
* Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate with Design, Product, Sales, Marketing and agile Software Development teams.
* Good understanding of web, mobile web and native mobile technologies and agile software development processes
* Fluency with common design software - Adobe Creative Suite applications, Sketch, Invision and other prototyping tools, Office/Google Apps.
* Experience working on consumer-facing Mobile and Desktop applications, both in native and web-based environments
* Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with cross departmental teams.
* Ability and willingness to push and/or adhere to design constraints.
* Experienced in designing in an Agile software development environment
* Passion for technology innovation, and dedicated to keeping up with the latest industry trends
* Experience mentoring a multi-disciplinary design team and help set and achieve satisfying career goals
* Experience in recruiting and hiring as well as managing freelance/contract resources.
* Experience in creating and nurturing a culture of innovation and teamwork.
* Master's Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive science, Information Design, Industrial Design, Product Design or related field
To learn more about this site and other office locations, please click here!
Years of experience:
Up to 25%
US Citizenship Required
Viasat provides broadband and communications products and services.