The responsible development of machine learning and AI-powered products requires that the data gathered to train and evaluate model performance are consistently representative of the intended use cases, users, and contexts of use. To support and execute on our vision, we are looking for an experienced and passionate Design Researcher for the Ethics & Society team within Cloud & Artificial Intelligence.
* An advanced degree in human factors, cognitive psychology or a related field, or equivalent industry experience.
* At least 2 years of industry experience.
* Expertise in advanced statistics and the design of experiments.
* Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of design research methodologies including, but not limited to: usability studies, field studies, in-depth interviews, heuristic evaluations, concept validation, benchmarks, competitive reviews and surveys.
* Track record of demonstrating excellent command of research questions within a given domain, and of technical tools for the analysis of data within that field.
* Ability to quickly and effectively analyze data and present findings clearly to influence product design and direction.
* Passion for learning new technologies and understanding the needs of users across a wide range of technical abilities.
* Communicate findings in a clear, concise, and visual (when appropriate) manner to our key stakeholders on the product and design teams, and drive meaningful action based on those findings.
* Communicate, track, and drive research insights with stakeholders to ensure positive impact on products in a fast-moving agile environment.
* Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Evaluate gaps in foundational user research and deliver research recommendations to product teams.
* Provide guidance on participant recruitment strategies and protocols, with a focus on the diversity of sampling and inclusivity of approach.
* Create supporting educational materials for data capturers and labelers, with a focus on supporting fairness, participant privacy, and the consistency of data.
* Provide guidance on data capture protocols with a focus on transparency in the consent process for participants as well GDPR compliance.
* Create requirements for fairness benchmark initiatives.
* Develop guidance on data labeling tooling with a focus on usability in service of performance reliability and debuggability.
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.