University of Southern California
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students and stage that make the university what it is.
Dornsife Technology Services (DTS) is seeking a Database Analyst II to join its team. We support over 2,000 faculty, staff and students in the Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences at USC. DTS prides itself on a customer service oriented and entrepreneurial approach to technology support of teaching, research and administration. The DTS team is comprised of highly-skilled, friendly, and approachable professionals who are dedicated to solving technology problems and offering technology solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Responsibilities include conducting full lifecycle analysis to include requirements, activities and design
* Develop analysis and reporting capabilities
* Administer and maintain web analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, SQL and Tableau
* Monitor performance and quality control plans to identify improvements
* Interpret data, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports
* Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
* Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems
* Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
* Filter and "clean" data by reviewing computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems
* Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
* Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
* Design stable, reliable and effective databases
* Optimize and maintain legacy systems
* Modify databases according to requests and perform tests
* Solve database usage issues and malfunctions
* Liaise with developers to improve applications and establish best practices
* Gather user requirements and identify new features
* Develop technical and training manuals
* Provide data management support to users
* Ensure all database programs meet Dornsife and performance requirements
* Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
* Research and suggest new database products, services and protocols
* Collaborate with team to create documentation for user support
* Proven working experience as a data analyst or business data analyst
* Demonstrate proficiency in Tableau and SQL
* Documented experience using SQL and other database management tools for use with MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server or other enterprise-level database.
* Documented skills in PHP and other web application framework
* Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
* Proven work experience as a Database developer
* In-depth understanding of data management (e.g. permissions, recovery, security and monitoring)
* Knowledge of application development and user interface web applications
* Excellent analytical and organization skills
* An ability to understand front-end users requirements and a problem-solving attitude
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Willingness to help user above and beyond
* Exposure to ColdFusion Web framework
* Exposure to developing web applications for mobile devices
* Team-Oriented and self motivated
* Disciplined programming skills
* Pay close attention to detail
* Follow coding standards
University Park Campus in Los Angeles, California. Remote work is not an option for this position.
$32.58 - $43.84 per hour/non-exempt, full-time position at 37.5 hours per week.
Required Documents and Additional Information:
* Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
* Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
* USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience with database design for a variety of platforms.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC's Clery Act Annual Security Report
Required Legal Notices
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser:
About University of Southern California
University of Southern California (USC) is a research university specializing in arts, technology, and international business.
University of Southern California