At Tala, we see the world differently. We're driven by a fundamental belief in people and we work hard to prove their potential. We are all passionate about extending financial freedom to the billions of underserved people across the globe.
We're seeking a Database Administrator to be part of our Technical Operations team. As a Database Administrator, you will be responsible for the overall availability and health of our MySQL and NoSQL database clusters. You possess a depth of knowledge in the database technologies along with the breadth of understanding on infrastructure, systems, scalability, and computer science fundamentals to solve massive load problems. You will have the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology including containerized highly scalable databases, high-availability solutions, and various automation technologies. You will help develop and maintain a scalable infrastructure that supports our global teams.
What you'll do:
* Work with engineering and business stakeholders to understand data requirements and unify solutions.
* Help shape the rapidly growing data needs by evaluating and recommending the best relational and non-relational data based solutions.
* Design schema, access patterns, locking strategy, SQL/NoSQL development, and tuning current and future applications in our stack
* Create, manage, and monitor high-availability (HA) database clusters
* Proactive performance tuning of existing and future database clusters
* Monitor performance metrics, response times, and request rates across all our data stores
* Design and implement disaster recovery (DR) solutions
* Improving availability and build telemetry to show SLOs
* Lead automation efforts across multiple data systems
What you have:
* 5+ years of hands-on experience administering distributed data stores (Snowflake, HDFS, HBase, Cassandra, Hive)
* Expert knowledge in AWS data services (RDS, ElasticSearch)
* Experience designing and supporting development, testing. and production databases.
* Experience setting up replication, sharding and other high availability solutions.
* Preferred BS Degree in Computer Science and/or Math or equivalent skills
* Excellent ability to communicate and collaborate with a globally distributed team
* Experience working with DevOps and Agile/Scrum teams
* Capacity evaluation in terms of projection and status quo in terms of storage, performance
* Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large
Unique experiences this role will provide:
* Responsible for managing the entire data store pipeline
* Deploying highly available and critical financial data across the world
* Scale and automation in mind
* Opportunity to go to our markets (Kenya, Tanzania, Philippines, Mexico, India)
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we're proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.
Tala is mobile technology and data science company that is revolutionizing financial services in emerging markets.