The Database Administrator is responsible for the effective design, architecture, and operation of enterprise wide databases for Orion Advisor Services. This position will leverage Microsoft SQL Server, related reporting and tuning tools.
We need this person to identify innovative approaches to achieving top performance in a rapid application development environment while maintaining overall database reliability and integrity.
What does this role entail?
* Assists with identifying performance bottlenecks (OS, Network, and Database), tuning of both SQL statements and RDBMS software; suggests optimal performance recommendations
* Writes, debugs and unit tests stored procedures and triggers
* Creating databases, administrates security, resolves and troubleshoots database issues, oversees and performs upgrades, conversions and deployments, as needed
* Uses DBCC procedures to monitor health of databases, tables and indexes to maintain database integrity of all production and in house databases
* Monitors databases to optimize database performance, health, resource use, and physical implementations of databases; address a variety of database integration issues including migration between disparate databases, integration, maintenance/conversion, capacity planning issues, and new applications
* Creates, rotates, and integrates related database backups based on business needs by having thorough knowledge of database software recovery mechanisms
PHYSICAL DATABASE STRUCTURES
* Provides support to application developers in designing and implementing physical database structures
* Reviews, develops, and designs data models using standard diagramming techniques, in conjunction with application development teams; creates logical data models and translates into physical database structures that integrate with existing or proposed database structures
* Responds to occasional requests from Production to resolve any database related customer issues
* Troubleshoots, capacity plans and performs maintenance as needed
* Provides technical support for middleware and administration tools
* Implements and maintains database security, Replication, SQL Clustering, Standby Server, DTS, Log Shipping, and SQL mail
* Maintains user connectivity while providing security to protect company data
Knowledge and skills needed:
* Strong knowledge of database clustering, replication, and log shipping, as well as database modeling and design skills
* Strong knowledge of data dictionary and database scripting, SQL development, unit testing, and systems administration on Microsoft.
* Ability to design and implement solutions to ensure database availability and recoverability
* Ability to script solutions as well as a strong knowledge of GUI administration tools to manage change control and monitoring of systems
* Proven architecture skills in designing database environments for various business needs (e.g., high-availability, failover, replication, and disaster-recovery, virtual machine environment)
Education and Experience:
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field of study required
* Orion Series 65 certification must be obtained within 90 days of employment
* Minimum of 3 years of experience with installing, configuring, tuning and troubleshooting MS SQL Server in a high volume, high availability production environment required
* Previous experience with life-cycle administration support including database design, database development, testing, deployment, and maintenance required
* Experience with Database Optimization and Performance Tuning required
* Experience with architecture, set up and administration of MS SQL Server required
* Experience with database troubleshooting and failure resolution required
* Minimum of 2 years running MS SQL Server in an MS Cluster environment preferred