University Of California
This is a contract appointment, which may be extended or converted to career status based on the needs of the department.
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
The Data and Integration Services team, part of IT Services, provides data infrastructure services, data integration and SOA platform and associated processes to allow data access, real-time and batch data movement, data transformation, to support the enterprise data needs for operational, analytical, and strategic utilization of enterprise and departmental data.
This position, part of Data and Integration Services, applies advanced database administration concepts to support the data infrastructure, to resolve highly complex issues of diverse scope where the incumbent must assess business needs and technical considerations with minimal direction in order to complete database projects of advanced scope and complexity. Selects methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results. Implements database solutions from evaluation to implementation of large enterprise level hardware and software.
This position's primary responsibilities is to support and maintain database environments hosted on but not limited to DB2 on z/os mainframe as well as with DB2 LUW and BLU. The position also requires UCSD administrative system understanding specifically with student and financial systems. The incumbent in this position will be working closely with application developers to assist with database design and change deployment.
Responsibilities: Install monitor and maintain databases and RDBMS. Perform database design. Support database capacity planning. Develop and support database utilities such as backup, cloning, reorg, backup and recovery, change management, etc. Perform query performance analysis and query tuning in a data warehouse environment. Provide incident management support
* Advanced knowledge of database management systems and standards.
* Demonstrated knowledge of conceptual database design.
* Detailed technical knowledge of IBM DB2 z/OS and LUW database management system.
* Advanced database querying and modeling skills working with moderately complex databases.
* Demonstrated experience in monitoring and tuning large databases.
* Demonstrated knowledge relating to capacity planning and interface specifications.
* Skills associated with implementing database enhancements that improve performance and reliability of the system at the software, hardware and operating system level.
* Strong security skills for protecting the operating system, software, data and hardware. Technical skills to develop, implement and test disaster recovery functions using backup technologies.
* Proven project leadership ability and experience in directing other technical staff in the development and implementation of complex databases.
* Excellent and effective written/verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrates good judgment and decision-making; problem identification and resolution; identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance through application configuration and programming techniques.
* Detailed knowledge of core administrative databases- ISIS, IFIS, PPS
* Knowledge of Linux Shell Scripting
* Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
* Employee must be available to travel as required.
* Job offer is contingent on clear background check.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full:
1) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance 2) Life Insurance 3) UC Retirement Plan 4) Vacation/Holidays (15 vacation days and 13 paid holidays a year).
For more information about UCSD Benefits and Work/Life.
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please visit:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
About University Of California
University of California is a public research university system.