At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a data scientist in the Safety and Insurance team, you will have the opportunity to take on some of the hardest problems in all of Uber: improving the safety of cities and people all over the world. You will develop expertise and insights in a team that aims to make rare events even rarer. It is an incredibly challenging, stimulating, and, most of all, rewarding endeavor. Our team is currently looking for data scientists in the areas of Safety and Privacy.
The Safety Data Scientist role will partner closely with Safety and Insurance product management, operations, engineering, and local teams to conduct analysis and develop models to make our platform as safe possible throughout the lifecycle of our users from when they attempt to sign-up and when they're using our platform. You will play an influential role in helping drive critical product and policy decisions.
For our Privacy Data Scientist role, we're focusing on building both the user-facing features and internal services that give our users choice around their data, build trust, advance data privacy, and enable our business. The data scientist will partner closely with Privacy product and Engineering teams to develop critical insights and models to understand our platform users better to help drive critical business decisions.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
WHAT YOU'LL DO
* Develop and lead statistical and machine learning efforts in relation to your projects. Our projects leverage machine learning, experimentation, signal processing, time series analysis, geospatial analysis, natural language processing, and more.
* Leverage large scale data processing such as Spark, Hive, and Uber's proprietary machine learning platform, and more.
* Master safety-related data, risk factors, and outcomes in high and low resolution, such as before, during, and after a trip, and at coarser aggregations or spans of time and geography
* Conduct original analyses to inform and influence product, engineering, and operations efforts
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
* Masters or Ph.D. in a scientific or technical field preferred
* At least 3 years in building machine learning models, complex data analysis, and experimentation.
* Expertise in R or Python
* Proficiency with SQL and Hive / Spark
* Previous experience in safety or risk a plus
* Strong statistical background
* Experience with survey design a plus
* Strong verbal and written communication, and presentation skills
* Highly detailed oriented
* Excellent judgment, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills; can balance attention to detail with swift execution
* Able to identify stakeholders, build relationships, and influence others to get work done
* Enthusiasm about Uber!
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.