Nordstrom is a fashion specialty retailer founded on a simple idea: offer each customer the best possible service, quality, value and selection. At Nordstrom, providing great customer service goes beyond the selling floor. It takes a team of individuals with different talents and skills to continuously improve service and our results. Our Advanced Analytics team works in partnership with other areas of the Company to develop insights, algorithms, and data products that support decision making, products, and technologies used throughout Nordstrom. When you join our team, you are welcomed into a family dedicated to creating memorable and rewarding shopping experiences for our customers.
This is a data scientist role focusing on the area of Operations Research and Supply Chain Optimization. The ideal candidate is a creative and passionate problem-solver who thinks big, acts quickly, and is motivated to develop new approaches to optimize Nordstrom's supply chain using quantitative and cutting-edge technology.
* Perform data analysis on large scale data sets in the context of retail and supply chain operations.
* Develop optimization algorithms and work with colleagues to deploy data driven decisions/products for network design, transportation planning, inventory allocation, revenue management, etc.
* Engage broadly with the business to frame, structure and prioritize business requirements into practical analytical solutions.
* Communicate insights and recommend areas for improvements to make real impacts to our business.
* A PhD or Master's degree with equivalent experience in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics.
* Experience solving retail supply chain problems such as network planning, transportation, inventory optimization, revenue management, and/or forecasting.
* Hands-on experience using optimization software such as Gurobi, Cplex, or Xpress.
* Familiar with data modeling using SQL, Python, R, SparkSQL, etc.
* Solid understanding of basic statistics modeling techniques such as regression, classification, decision trees, etc.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
* 2+ years industrial experience in solving supply chain problems such as network planning, transportation, inventory optimization, and/or forecasting.
* Familiarity with machine learning algorithms such as clustering, classification, neural networks, collaborative filtering, survival analysis, etc.
* Experience with cloud computing solutions such as AWS, Azure preferred.
* Knowledge of visualization tools such as Tableau, d3.js, Shiny.
We've got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that's reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
* Time Off
* Merchandise Discount
* Lifework / EAP resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It's not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2018 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.