We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a bike, or a sandwich, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money and achieve their goals. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Job Description About the role
Uber's Marketplace Control team is looking for experienced data scientists who are passionate about the dynamics of our two-sided marketplace. The team takes a holistic view of the marketplace to understand how different product levers (e.g. rider and driver pricing, promotions, matching) affect its efficiency, growth, and ability to generate value. For example, we evaluate the balance of supply and demand across time and geography, investigate how Uber's products shape riders' expectations and behavior over time, assess how drivers respond to variation in their earnings, and examine how potential regulation changes can impact the health of the marketplace. We use techniques from a variety of disciplines, including operations research, statistics and economics, to address these open-ended questions.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do
* Leverage data to perform intensive analyses across all areas of business to drive product development. Build mathematical models and interpret results to draw detailed and actionable business insights. Provide solutions to issues in operational execution and economic decisions of the ride-sharing industry.
* Perform causal analyses, time-series analyses, and hypothesis testing to enhance understanding of rider/driver behaviors and their impact on marketplace performance.
* Explore and define metrics and models to operate the marketplace, optimize marketplace efficiency, and maintain the balance of driver supply and rider demand.
* Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product, engineering, and operations.
What You'll Need
* Excellent educational background in operations research, economics, statistics, applied math or a related field. Ph.D. or Masters degree with 2+ years of work experience preferred.
* Ability to tackle ambiguous problems. We address broad, hard-to-pin-down questions such as "what makes for a healthy marketplace?" You should feel comfortable framing such questions and developing a structure for analysis.
* Entrepreneurial mindset. Everywhere you go, you can't help but mobilize people, create things, solve problems, roll up your sleeves, collaborate, go above and beyond. You are an insatiable doer and motivator of others.
* Excellent execution and organization. This team works with engineers and product leads at the forefront of the development cycle. To excel in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly. A strong sense of ownership and attention to detail are critical.
* Experience with common analysis tools: Python, R, and SQL. Demonstrable abilities with code and programming concepts.
Nice to Have
* Experience working with large data sets
* Experience working with spatial data
About the Team
The Marketplace Control team is part of Uber's larger Marketplace organization, which builds the platforms, products, and algorithms responsible for optimizing Uber's rides business. In Marketplace we design and scale real-time systems that power rideshare pricing, positioning, and matching, and in the process we solve some of the hardest data science and engineering problems at Uber. Marketplace data scientists combine clear product vision, deep technical skills, and powerful data analysis and modeling to improve the algorithms that run Uber's vast worldwide marketplace every minute of the day.
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.