Aurora works at the intersection of rigorous engineering and applied machine learning to address one of the most challenging, important, and interesting opportunities of our generation: transforming the way people and goods move.
Founded by three of the world's leaders of the self-driving vehicle industry, we design the software and hardware that will power the next revolution in transportation. We partner with others as we believe this allows us to move more quickly than any one company can move alone.
Aurora hires people who want to build the future of transportation. We are looking for our first Data Scientist to lay the foundation in making data-informed decisions that impact Aurora's growth. You will start hands-on and interface internally with both our strategic and technical teams, as well as our partners, in order to drive mission-critical decisions in a multi-trillion dollar industry.
* Join as our first data science hire and roll up sleeves to dig into key issues and analyses while laying groundwork to understand needs and build team over time
* Extract insights from data to prioritize strategic business and technical decisions
* Determine where and how to most impactfully apply data science at Aurora.
* Support the development of market entry plans that align market opportunity with technical capability
* Automate critical data collection and analysis tasks to support continued business decisions
* Collaborate closely with product and engineering to improve the performance of our technology
* Build machinery to extract insights from historical system performance and use these to forecast performance going forward
* BS, MS, or PhD in Statistics, Operations Research, Economics, Computer Science, or a related field.
* Experience architecting data and software systems to facilitate reliable analysis at scale
* Practical knowledge of common data analysis, inference, and statistical modeling tools, including Python and R
* Self-starter who will see opportunities to apply capabilities that add value throughout the organization
* Superb analytical and problem solving skills, and an ability to deeply understand the "why" and "how" of what we are working on
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Excellent planning and organizational abilities
* Ability to be a leader and mentor
* 6+ years in a Data Science role
* Experience in a relevant industry or with geospatial data or routing algorithms
* Ability to develop visualizations to communicate data with stakeholders
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, giving people more time back every day.
We're one team. We're inspired by the challenge of what we're solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon's efforts in Darpa's Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google's self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla's Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber's autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by some of Silicon Valley's best venture capital firms, including Greylock and Index Ventures.
Aurora works at the intersection of rigorous engineering and applied machine learning to transform the way people and goods move.