At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Job Description About the Role
You would be leading data science for the Search & Places team, which powers everything behind how a user sets the origin and destination of their trip. Users can specify these locations through technologies like location search (searching for an address or a point of interest), geopersonal predictions (choosing from a set of likely locations), and reverse geocoding (defaulting to being picked up at a nearby address). Data scientists on the team craft statistical, machine learning, or analytical solutions to achieve business goals, and guide the team's direction through data-driven insights and rigorous experimentation. You can learn more about Maps through:
* Fixing Map Errors with GPS Data
* What's my ETA? A Billion $ question
* Rethinking GPS: Engineering Next-Gen Location at Uber
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do
* Work closely with leads from engineering and product to develop technical vision and drive the team direction.
* Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning and statistics.
* Propose and guide framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions.
* Provide technical and professional guidance, mentorship, and people management for data scientists.
* Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams.
What You'll Need
* M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines. Alternatively, a BS with 5 or more years of experience in relevant fields.
* Experience managing a team of data scientists.
* Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, and analytics.
* Experience in experimental design (such as A/B experiments) and analysis.
* Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
* Coding proficiency and ability to develop statistical analysis and algorithm prototyping in Python or R. Proficiency in Java is a plus.
* Proficiency in SQL.
About the Team
Map data and services are the lifeblood of Uber -- from specifying the locations of passengers/cars/food, to estimating travel times, to calculating fares based on time and distance. Uber moves things in the world from A to B, and the Maps team is charged with supplying the locations of the As and Bs, and the routes and predicted times between A and B.
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.