At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Data Science Manager for Elevate will lead our team of world class data scientists, and focus on conducting cutting-edge research. The team is responsible for making data-driven business recommendations by building, leveraging and enhancing simulation, tooling and experimentation software.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Work closely with leads from engineering and product to develop technical vision and drive the team direction.
* Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning and statistics.
* Propose and guide framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions.
* Provide technical and professional guidance, mentorship, and people management for data scientists.
* Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams.
What You'll Need
* Technical depth in engineering large scale operational systems
* M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines. Alternatively, a BS with 5 or more years of experience in relevant fields.
* Experience managing a team of data scientists.
* Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, and analytics.
* Experience in experimental design (such as A/B experiments) and analysis.
* Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
* Coding proficiency and ability to develop statistical analysis and algorithm prototyping in Python or R. Proficiency in Java is a plus.
* Proficiency in SQL.
* Strong vision and strategic thinking
* envision the potential high scale aerial operations supported lay out a framework towards that while meeting near-term requirements
* contribute new ideas and challenge the status quo when appropriate
* work efficiently in a highly scrappy environment as well as a large organization
* be a "practical visionary" who can see the end game and execute a course to get there with many deliverables and key progress milestones along the way.
* Team building and management skills to
* form and motivate the team at the different stages of growth
* effectively prioritize the software implementation to meet the most important upcoming milestones
* assess the scope of the work, prioritize, deliver on high priority items and push back on low priority items
* recruit world-class talent to join his/her team and intelligently scale that team over the next few years
* Experience working in product development environment
* background in aeronautics and aviation
* Transportation and operational research experience
About the team
On-demand aviation has the potential to radically improve urban mobility, giving people back time lost in their daily commutes. A network of small, electric aircraft that take off and land vertically (VTOLs) will enable rapid, reliable transportation between suburbs and cities and, ultimately, within cities. Elevate is the name of Uber's internal team and initiative focused on launching the Uber Air product. The Elevate initiative includes software development, data science, battery development, infrastructure to support a distributed network of Skyports, operations, partnerships, and vehicle design.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.