A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation. It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
The Center for Data Science and Analytics is the innovative corporate Analytics group within New York Life. We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department, which aims to design, create and offer innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. We are aided by New York Life's existing business with a large market share in individual life insurance. We have the freedom to explore external data sources and new statistical techniques, and are excited about delivering a whole new generation of Analytical solutions.
In fact, we are designing and will build one of the first multivariate model-based continuous risk differentiations in the industry. This model will incorporate current underwriting best practices (including medical rules) as features and add other data sources, patterns/ideas and variables to essentially create a rating plan to support the next generation underwriting process at New York Life. This is just one of several projects with large business value. Geographic analytics on agents and customers, application fraud detection, agent success prediction and client prospecting analytics (off-line and on-line) are other exciting examples of enormous incremental value from analytics. Our products will be implemented into real-time core business processes and decisions that drive the company (e.g. underwriting, pricing, agent recruiting, prospecting, new product development).
We work with data ranging from demographics, credit and geo data to detailed medical data (medical test results, diagnosis, prescriptions) and social media information. We have a modern computing environment with a solid suite of data science/modeling tools and packages, and a large (but manageable) group of well-trained professionals at various levels to support you. Life insurance is on the verge of huge change. This is a chance to be part of, actually to drive, the transformation of an industry.
You will be part of Data & Platform sub-function team under Center for Data Science and Analytics. The Data & Platform team services internally to Data Scientists who focus on Statistical analysis.
You will be part of a fast paced, high-impact team who will work with an entrepreneurial mindset using some of the best of breed tools as part of our Enterprise Data Lake (Hadoop) using R, Spark and Python.
You will apply your data and platform engineering skills to design and develop technology/business solutions for a high performance computing environment. This role provides architecture, development and implementation of strategic initiatives solving business issues through technological innovation. in-depth knowledge of enterprise platforms, cloud services and design architecture will be key to success.
You will perform Proof of Concepts and test out new software tools under the umbrella of Data Science but geared more towards data/platform engineering.
* Design, specify and support new and existing platforms (on-premise/cloud)
* Proactively address and resolve technical issues to support key business initatives.
* Utilize emerging technologies to address business issues through technical innovation.
* Functions as data/platform expert, contributes to analytics/solutions design and productizing decisions
* Can work independently with some supervision and be part of a collaborative team
* Work with Project Managers and Scrum Masters to provide milestones and stories
* Proactively and effectively communicates in various verbal and written formats with senior level member of the team and partners
* Graduate-level degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant experience in the field of Business Intelligence, Data Mining, Database Engineering, Programming
* 3-5 years of overall experience working in the field of data wrangling and programming with a minimum of 1 year experience with ingesting, cleaning, merging and applying necessary data wrangling logic in Hadoop
* Strong Knowledge of Enterprise Platforms, Cloud Technology and high performance computing.
* 1+ years in writing complex SQL queries in any of the following and/or similar databases - Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, MySQL
* Proficiency using Python for all data related work such as Numpy, Pandas, PySpark
* Experience working with Linux Operating System
* Experience working with data visualization tools or packages
* Experience building Exploratory Data Analysis reports such as Histograms, Box plots, Pareto, Scatter Plot using R, Python or a Data Visualization tool such as Tableau, Spotfire
* Understanding of statistical modeling concepts, designs and analytics-based products
* Any experience in using ETL tools such as Ab Initio, Talend, Informatica, Pentaho
* Any experience working with Data Warehouses and/or Data Marts
* Any experience in Life Insurance business
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.