The Data Engineering Project Manager is critical in the creation and execution of project planning where multiple stakeholders and dependencies need to be tracked and individuals held accountable. These stakeholders are primarily engineering teams that require a high level of coordination to execute on company objectives. The role will also be responsible for liaising with external third parties to ensure their deliverables and timelines are included in the plan and dependencies identified.
As Data Engineering Project Manager, you will create structured schedules and project plans based on project goals, resources needed, dependencies potential risks, time to market, contingency plans and budget constraints. You will partner with colleagues in different functions to assess the workload, impacts, dependencies and possible issues across teams, including prioritization conflicts. During the planning process, you will help communicate clear and actionable deliverables of various Supplier/Engineering product plans.
Project Execution and Governance
* Create comprehensive cross functional project plan to deliver on Data Engineering commitments
* Assess sequence of project tasks and advise management of concerns
* Track deadlines, deliverables, resources, and timelines throughout the projects
* Hold stakeholders accountable; conduct team meetings to provide status updates and identify and resolve issues
* Identify and escalate gaps in plans or blockers to execution based on prior experience partnering with Product Management
* Adapt plans based on evolving needs, conditions or issues that may arise and ensure on-time, high-quality delivery aligned with the stated project goals
* Ensure contingency plans are defined in advance and ready to be implemented with the appropriate lead time if necessary
* Participate with the implementation of policies, tools and processes as needed
Project Prioritization and Portfolio Alignment
* Manage multiple vendors, products and datasets, each with varying priority, timelines and resource requirements
* Create a robust process to solicit feedback from sales on data set prioritization and inform the engineering build of the datasets
* Balance delivery (outcomes with refinement) and communicate priorities internally and to investors
* Create a project dashboard to highlight risks and dependencies across projects
* Inform project teams and senior leaders where resources are currently being placed and recommend changes to avoid resourcing gaps
* Ensure third party resources efforts are seamlessly integrated in the project plans
* Create standard reports to share appropriate information with external clients and/or partners
Project Documentation and Archives
* Partner with Supplier and Engineering teams to ensure documentation, supporting materials and project plans are updated and readily available for internal teams, senior leaders as well as external partners/stakeholders
* Validate and document completed project information for reference on future projects and to assess the accuracy of project delivery dates, completeness, and alignment with stated objectives and goals
* Facilitate all retrospective reviews of projects completed, particularly when projects didn't go according to schedule and ensure learnings are captured and used prospectively to increase productivity
* 10+years experience in a Project Manager function ideally at a start-up technology firm in the financial services industry
* Specific experience as a project manager with big data systems, data management platforms, data engineering and/or operations functions is required
* Excellent written and verbal communication
* Expert at implementing project management where it does not previously exist
* Proficient at change management and influencing without direct authority
* Familiar with software lifecycle development, both agile and waterfall and the segmentation of software releases
* Understanding and familiarity with Market and Financial data
* Outstanding organization skills and attention to detail
* Proven leadership skills, highly adept facing off to all management levels across Engineering, Sales, Product Management, internally and external client-facing
* Track record for being resourceful with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
* Highly proficient with business applications such as JIRA, GSuite, Microsoft Excel/Word/PPT, other applicable project tracking and reporting applications
Crux is a data delivery and operations company that takes on the critical, yet commoditized, tasks of ingesting data and getting it ready for analysis by financial institutions. We are experiencing rapid growth from financial firms turning to Crux to process and onboard the data they need.
Crux is transforming how the financial services industry works with data. For years, data discovery, operations, and delivery have been expensive, time consuming, and frustrating for financial firms. We are solving this challenge by creating a new technology solution: the go-to platform for data delivery. Crux is in high demand and we have a clear path to success.
Founded in 2017 by a seasoned team of data professionals, Crux has grown to a team of 70 employees in San Francisco and New York. It is backed by leading industry players, including Citi, Goldman Sachs, and Two Sigma.
At Crux, diversity is valued and and treatment of employees and applicants are based on merit, talent and qualification. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We believe the key to success is bringing together unique perspectives and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. For qualified applicants with criminal histories, consideration will be consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.