Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are seeking a highly motivated, and technically proficient Data Engineer to work on architecting, designing, building and managing data products on "big data" infrastructure.
You will expand upon your current skill set through cross-disciplinary collaboration with some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry, while learning the inner workings of a fast-paced global performance marketing agency. You will work closely with a team of engineers in an agile development environment to expand our proprietary marketing products.
Additionally, as a Data Engineer, you'll play an integral role in the growth of our team. You will assist in reviewing complicated and mission-critical designs, code, and tests; and documenting ways to improve our current codebase and system processes using the latest technologies.
* Advance our products to a next-generation suite using ETL/Streaming tools & technologies like Talend, Apache NiFi, java/Python & Big Data technologies in cloud-based environments, like AWS.
* Participate in the full software development life cycle: gather requirements, design, develop, peer code review and test the applications
* Communicate effectively with business analysts, data scientists, and other developers on a daily basis
* Support our 24/7/365 data products
* Qualified individuals possess the Merkle attributes of being smart, curious, committed to vision, passionate, fun/pleasant, an achiever and having a sense of urgency
* BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field (i.e. math and physics)
* 3+ years of data analysis, data architecture and software development experience, with a majority in an Agile environment, utilizing agile data and software development practices.
* Strong database design, administrative, and querying skills of open source databases such as Mysql, NoSQL (Hive and HBase).
* Expertise in Unix/Linux systems - comfortable working from the command line and aware of modern Unix/Linux technologies.
* Experience with Cloud/AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, EMR, Kinesis, DynamoDB, Redshift, Snowflake and more.
* Experience storing, managing, and processing massive data sets using tools such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, AWS EMR, Hive, or the like.
* Experience processing massive amounts of data using MapReduce systems is preferred.
* Experience with Customer Data Integration or Master Data Management preferred
* Knowledge of traditional and digital data-driven marketing
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.