Who We Are
Networked Insights technology helps marketers from the world's biggest brands and agencies understand their customers, inform their media spend, invent new products, drive amazing creative campaigns and improve their targeting by providing game-changing insights no other technology company can provide.
What You'll Do
Reporting into the Manager of Data Science & Analytics, the Data Engineer at Networked Insights will be responsible for organizing data, addressing performance problems, making data processing systems reliable, supporting data quality, and ensuring convenient access to data for both internal and external users.
Systems in service of the Networked Insights targeting business flow data into a streaming classification and analytics pipeline. Data are processed into several systems including a full text search document database, analytic database, and data lake storage. A variety of summary reports are generated for use in our targeting tools.
Networked Insights also works on systems in service of its parent company American Family Insurance, many of which are similar in architecture to those of Networked Insights, e.g. cloud-based data warehouse, big data batch jobs, modeling, and analysis by way of machine learning. Other legacy systems rely on traditional relational databases and complex business applications. The Data Engineer will serve both the Networked Insights targeting business and American Family Insurance, as necessary. As such, supporting these systems will lean on traditional data warehousing knowledge, schema design, and query authoring skills. As time goes on and more systems use less-traditional data and database technologies, our Data Engineers will need to gain familiarity with these tools and methodologies, which may straddle the boundary between pure data engineering and software development.
* Organize data. In the context of relational databases, this includes schema design and authoring ETL. In other data stores, it may entail coming up with organizational systems, file formats, ETL workflows, and others as needed.
* Address performance problems. In relational databases, this is query optimization and indexing. In other data stores, it might mean selecting a more appropriate compute tool, or revising Spark/Beam code.
* Understand all data flows downstream from the streaming ingest platform. Devise monitoring to identify data problems. Revise systems as necessary to provide continued reliability.
* Build systems to provide convenient access to data. This can involve new data flows, new summaries, configuration of reporting tools, creation of dashboards, and others as needed.
* Participate in Agile process, use JIRA to communicate and manage workflow.
* Some occasional travel will be required to facilitate work with our peers at American Family Insurance.
What You'll Need
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field of Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Significant experience working with relational databases (e.g., Postgres, Oracle), familiarity with a full range of SQL syntax, stored procedures, etc.
* Experience with database modeling tools, database normalization, logical and physical database design and implementation.
* Familiarity with database internals such as binary logging, indexes, statistics, query planning, transactions, concurrency management, and high-performance loading.
* Familiarity with basic DBA skills/tasks, ETL operations, and tools.
* Familiarity with Linux and using console tools.
* Experience with Cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure, or similar).
* Familiarity with development tools and workflows such as git, CI/CD, Jenkins, Eclipse, Maven.
* Experience with languages such as Groovy or Python, particularly for authoring ETL.
* Experience authoring webservices and webservice clients is a plus.
* Familiarity with big data compute and batch tools such as Hadoop, Spark, or Beam/Dataflow.
* Familiarity with analytic databases, such as GCP/BigQuery, AWS/Athena, or AWS/Redshift.
* Ability to travel to Madison, WI as needed
Who You Are
* You are prepared to take responsibility for the above-mentioned items by exploring the business, discovering needs, and eventually driving your own workflow with modest direction from your manager.
* You work well with others and enjoy knowing the business reasons behind why we develop a new feature or product.
* You are an assertive personality with initiative, a results-oriented drive, and solid work ethic.
* Excellent time-management and prioritization skills; ability to prioritize and manage competing tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
* High energy and resourceful, able to succeed in a start-up environment
* A ferocious problem solver, capable of becoming productive quickly in an unfamiliar codebase.
What You'll Get
* Ownership and challenge in your work
* Collaborate with intelligent and highly skilled coworkers
* Competitive compensation
* Excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) and life insurance
* Open-ended PTO policy
* Paid parental leave
* Flexible hours and remote work options
* Company Culture that is Committed to Work-Life Balance for each and every employee
* Casual office environment with a startup feel - We have a particular fondness for Peanut M&Ms
* Fantastic Downtown Location connected to the Merchandise Mart
* Exposure to an exceptional technology stack and practices. Opportunity to explore the technology space and extend your skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We connect brands with their opportunity audiences.