The Data Engineer is the universal translator between IT, business, software engineers, and Data Scientists, working directly with clients and project teams. S/he works to understand the business problem being solved and provides the data required to do so, delivering at the pace of the consulting teams and iterating data to ensure quality as understandings crystallize.
Our historical focus has been on high-performance SQL data marts for batch analytics, but we are now driving toward new data stores and cluster-based architectures to enable streaming analytics and scaling beyond our current terabyte-level capabilities. Your ability to tune high-performance pipelines will help us to rapidly deploy some of the latest machine learning frameworks and other advanced analytical techniques at scale.
You will serve as a keystone on our larger projects, enabling us to deliver solutions hand-in-hand with consultants, data science specialists, and software engineers.
Key Role Attributes:
* Understand the overall problem being solved and what flows into it * Create and implement data engineering solutions using modern software engineering practices * Scale up from "laptop-scale" to "cluster scale" problems, in terms of both infrastructure and problem structure and technique * Deliver tangible value very rapidly, working with diverse teams of varying backgrounds * Codify best practices for future reuse in the form of accessible, reusable patterns, templates, and code bases
* Technical background in computer science, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistics or other quantitative and computational science * A compelling track record of designing and deploying large scale technical solutions, which deliver tangible, ongoing value * Direct experience having built and deployed complex production systems that implement modern, data scientific methods at scale and do so robustly * Comfort in environments where large projects are time-boxed and therefore consequential design decisions may need to be made and acted upon rapidly * Fluency with cluster computing environments and their associated technologies, and a deep understanding of how to balance computational considerations with theoretical properties of potential solutions * Ability to context-switch, to provide support to dispersed teams which may need an "expert hacker" to unblock an especially challenging technical obstacle * Demonstrated ability to deliver technical projects with a team, often working under tight time constraints to deliver value * An 'engineering' mindset, willing to make rapid, pragmatic decisions to improve performance, accelerate progress or magnify impact; recognizing that the 'good' is not the enemy of the 'perfect' * Comfort with working with distributed teams on code-based deliverables, using version control systems and code reviews
* Demonstrated expertise working with and maintaining open source data analysis platforms, including but not limited to: * Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Matplotlib, TensorFlow, Jupyter and other Python data tools * Spark (Scala and PySpark), HDFS, Kafka and other high volume data tools * SQL and NoSQL storage tools, such as MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, MongoDB and ElasticSearch
* Demonstrated fluency in modern programming languages for data science, covering a wide gamut from data storage and engineering frameworks through to machine learning libraries * Deep understanding of the architecture, performance characteristics and limitations of modern storage and computational frameworks, with experience implementing solutions that leverage: HDFS/Hive; Spark/MLlib; Kafka, etc. * A history of compelling side projects or contributions to the Open Source community is valued but not required
* Willingness to travel as required for cases (up to ~50%)
Oliver Wyman is a global leader in management consulting. With offices in 50+ cities across 26 countries, Oliver Wyman combines deep industry knowledge with specialized expertise in strategy, operations, risk management, and organization transformation. Our 4700+ professionals help clients optimize their business, improve their operations and risk profile, and accelerate their organizational performance to seize the most attractive opportunities. Oliver Wyman's thought leadership is evident in our agenda-setting books, white papers, research reports, and articles in the business press. Our clients are the CEOs and executive teams of the top Global 1000 companies.
Visit our website for more details about Oliver Wyman: www.oliverwyman.com
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Mercer is a human resource consulting service that includes compensation, employee benefits, communications, and investment consulting.