Remitly helps our customers send ~$6B annualized globally to their families back home. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. The Data Engineering team enables data-driven decision making throughout the entire company. Our current production platforms run the gamut -- batch processing, streaming, event infrastructure and machine learning model hosting.
What will your experience on the team be like?
* First, we work by our values every day. You should, too!
* The Data Engineering team builds infrastructure which enables internal users to ingest, process, and expose the data they need.
* We run on modern technology stacks, relying on AWS offerings, automated testing, monitoring, and mature deployment infrastructure
* We insist on releasing high-quality software as a starting point and believe that work-life balance is a requirement in making this happen
What kinds of things will you work on over the next 18 months?
* Design a strategy to express data characteristics beyond just types and nullability and use this to expose regressions or problems to the data producers
* Design and develop infrastructure to make it easier for technical and non-technical users to create and maintain batch and streaming pipelines
* Build a system that inspects queries AST to make recommendations for the database layer (ie new tables, sortkeys and distkeys on existing tables)
* Extend our dynamically configured stream processing by adding support for stateful aggregators
* Improve the transparency of our event infrastructure for internal engineers by exposing more metrics and monitoring at each part of the pipeline
* Contribute to better engineering quality and processes as part of a rapidly growing company
How do you know if you're a fit for Remitly and this role?
* You have a minimum of 3 years of shipping software. We're looking to hear your stories of successes, failures, and learnings from these experiences.
* You've done the course work, and you've applied this knowledge in a commercial software development setting. Think: Software development, system design, and software design patterns as beginning points.
* We believe that fundamentals are more important than specific tools. We prefer Scala as our language of choice right now, but if you're proficient with at least one general purpose language (e.g. Go, Python, Java, etc...), we'll support you in ramping up.
* Similarly, an understanding of database fundamentals is necessary. You bring fundamentals and experience in relational databases (SQL). If you don't know them, we'll will teach you what we're currently using (Redshift, Kinesis, S3, Flink, Spark, EMR).
* Data Engineering interacts with everyone in the company, technical and not. We work together and communicate closely so we can build the best product together. You should have experience collaborating closely with others, and a strong desire to continue doing so.
* Our team has many opportunities are ahead of us. You'll do well here if you are creative and love to take ownership of your product, beyond bespoke software development.
Remitly operates as a payments company.