We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people's busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 50 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
At Calm we are currently building a state-of-the-art data system using Kafka, Spark, Spark Streaming, Redshift, and Airflow, that is run in the cloud on AWS, deployed via Docker and Kubernetes, and has a codebase written with Go, Python, SQL and PySpark. We are looking for a data engineer with a solid computer science background and industry experience who can help us define, design, build, and optimize our data ecosystem. You will help us integrate different data sources, improve the efficiency, reliability, and latency of our data system, help automate data pipelines, and improve our data model and overall architecture. Bonus points if you have experience working with data scientists, building machine-learning platforms (e.g., for recommender systems), and understand the real-world, business use and impact of data. Calm has an extremely data-driven culture and your work will be critical to our success as a company.
What you will do:
* Build data integrations within our data platform and between partners
* Write well-tested, production ready code in Python, Go, and/or SQL
* Improve the efficiency, reliability, and latency of our data system
* Create automated, highly reliable data pipelinesHelp define and craft our data model
* Onboard onto Airflow and Redshift and assist with maintenance
* Define, design, and build data testing and quality frameworks
* Test all code written and ensure production readiness before shipping
* Work cross-functionally with our product and growth teams on complex and exciting projects that propel Calm's business
* Extensive experience working with at least one big data tool such as Spark, Redshift/Snowflake, Airflow/Luigi, etc
* Basic working knowledge other big data technologies
* Strong computer science fundamentals
* Experience building and maintaining critical, reliable ETL pipelines
* Experience writing production-level code in Python, Go, sparkSQL, PySpark, or Scala, Fluent in SQL
* Great communicator who can easily break down complex concepts to non-technical stakeholders
* Bonus points if you have experience in any of the following areas: Containerization, Kubernetes, working with data scientists and can understand their needs, and/or machine-learning and/or deep learning platforms
* Competitive salary and equity
* Unlimited PTO
* We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
* Commuter benefits
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Apple equipment
* Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
* Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!
Our mission is to make the world healthier and happier through the super power of meditation and mindfulness.