Data Engineer San Francisco, CA
Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that's transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to unleash the world's creative energy by designing a more enlightened way of working. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Dropbox has more than 12 offices around the world.
IT&S delivers technology strategy and solutions to our Dropbox business partners so they can work confidently, move fast, and scale effortlessly. We are the accelerator to the Dropbox business engine. We think of our team as a future-focused city planner for the Dropbox neighborhoods. We source, build and implement the right technology solution, and fit it into exactly the right place so that everything meets the high bar that Dropboxers expect.
As a Data Engineer, you will be working with cross functional team of business domain experts, analysts, and other engineering teams to build, deploy & enhance our Enterprise Data Warehouse. You will be working in our Business Intelligence and Data Engineering team which is part of the larger ITS function. This role provides opportunities to work on the latest Cloud technologies and Cloud data warehouse to develop state of the art data analytics systems which compliments and scales with the company growth. You will design, build and manage scalable data pipelines, data warehouse and ML models which provides insights to multiple business stakeholders to take meaningful business decisions.
This role entails working closely with functional teams like Finance, Marketing, Sales and Product teams at Dropbox. You will work closely with the Business Intelligence team to help build the backend solutions for reporting, dash boarding and analysis. You will manage and enhance the ETL/ELT pipelines to ensure data is flowing and KPIs are generated.
* Ability to understand the existing data ecosystem and leverage existing RESTful API's to consume structured (MySQL) and unstructured (Key-Value) data sets.
* Develop enterprise elastic/cloud data warehousing platform supporting the needs of critical BI reporting and analytical requirements.
* Build data pipelines and own data quality for various data flows.
* Launch and support new data models that provide intuitive analytics to internal customers
* Design and develop new framework and automation tools to enable teams to consume and understand data faster
* Use your expert coding skills across a number of languages like SQL, Python and Java to support analysts and data scientists
* Interface with internal data consumers to understand data needs
* Collaborate with multiple teams in high visibility roles and own the solution development end-to-end.
* 5+ years of hands-on experience working in data warehousing, data architecture and/or data engineering environments at an enterprise scale.
* 5+ years of SQL (MySQL, AWS Redshift, Hive, Snowflake etc) development experience is required, No-SQL experience is a major plus;
* 4+ years of Python or Ruby programming experience is necessary;
* 3+ years working experience on Map Reduce, Big-Data processing frameworks.
* Strong experience in custom or structured (ie. Informatica/Talend/Pentaho/Fivetran) ETL design, implementation and maintenance
* 2+ years of AWS (EMR/Lambda) experience
* Experience implementing and working with workflow schedulers like Airflow, Luigi, Oozie etc.
* Strong experience writing complex SQL queries;
* Experience implementing operational best practices such as monitoring, alerting, metadata management.
* Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners
* BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
Benefits and Perks
* 100% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
* 401k + company match
* Market competitive total compensation package
* Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
* Wellness Reimbursement
* Generous vacation policy
* 10 company paid holidays
* Volunteer time off
* Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Dropbox (formerly known as Evenflow) is a company that provides a cloud storage and collaboration platform.