Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
This role is part of John Hancock Data Engineering team.
* Perform Hadoop Data Engineering;
* Design, build, integrate data from various resources;
* Manage and optimize solutions in the Big Data ecosystem;
* Partner with data scientists to understand business objectives and apply deep understanding of John Hancock's data to identify the data needed to support use cases;
* Provide support for stitching data together and creating analytics base tables;
* Provide and influence Big Data design and architecture;
* Manage data loading into the Hadoop ecosystem;
* Develop Big Data set processes for data modeling, mining, and production;
* Perform Big Data modelling by leveraging Hadoop database technologies;
* Perform exploratory data analysis; query and process Big Data; provide reports; and summarize and visualize the data;
* Consult, collaborate, and recommend solutions for batch and streaming use case patterns;
* Maintain security and data privacy in data flow designs;
* Influence and evolve Big Data security models;
* Capture, maintain, and integrate technical metadata in a Big Data ecosystem and external metadata repositories;
* Assist and enable the integration of business metadata in a Big Data ecosystem and external metadata repositories;
* Participate in proof of concept efforts to integrate new Big Data management technologies, software engineering tools, and new patterns into existing structures;
* Research opportunities for data acquisition and new uses for existing data;
* Create custom software components (e.g. UDFs) and analytics applications;
* Create Big Data warehouses that can be used for reporting or analysis by data scientists;
* Influence/recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality;
* Collaborate with other data management and IT team members on project goals;
* Provide training on Big data technologies among members within the team and among business unit members;
* Document detailed Big Data design solutions conformant to enterprise standards, architecture, and technologies;
* Oversee handover to operational teams;
* Monitor Big Data databases to ensure accurate and appropriate use of data and perform quality control of database activities;
* Troubleshoot and correct problems discovered in Big Data databases;
* Follow change management procedures and help to create policies and best practices for all Big Data environments;
* Ensure Data quality with Quality Assurance team during solution testing.
* Maintain involvement in continuous improvement of Big Data solution processes, tools, and templates; and
* Create and publish design documents, project documentation, usage patterns, and cookbooks for the technical community.
* Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or closely related field and 7 years of experience working with Big Data systems.
Experience must include:
* 7 years of experience working with various types of SDLC methods such as Agile, Waterfall, Iterative, etc.
* 7 years of experience working with Java, Python, Shell Scripting, Scala, and R languages in building Big Data solutions for ingestion and analytics.
* 7 years of experience in creating and publishing design documents, usage patterns, and cookbooks for the technical community.
* 4 years of experience using Datalake.
* 3 years of experience working on Big Data technologies on in-house and cloud infrastructures.
* 3 years of experience working on Big Data processing with programming skills on MapReduce and Spark frameworks.
* 3 years of experience using Hadoop databases such as HBase, MongoDB, Hive, Apache Phoenix, with knowledge of traditional RDBMS such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL server, MySQL, etc.
* 2 years of experience in developing ingestion security rules.
* 2 years of experience working with tools such as SAS, R, Tableau, and QlikView.
Experience may be gained concurrently.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of March 31, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$849 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Manulife is a financial services company providing financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions.