Job Area: IT
Business Area: Corporate Systems Support
Location: NC - Raleigh;IA - Des Moines
Career Category: Experienced Professional
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Date Posted: 2019-03-01
Principal's Global Center for Brand and Insights is expanding our IT team and we're looking for strong, passionate engineers to move us beyond the cutting edge.
* Our mission is providing an easy, enjoyable experience for our customers. We team with customer experience and marketing partners to deliver innovative technology solutions to improve the experience our customers have with Principal. We are the enterprise experts in the solutions we deliver.
* We work in small teams of smart, energetic individuals who leverage a start-up mindset. Our work is challenging and fulfilling, and we are proud to share our products.
* Our team members are resilient change-makers who continuously seek improvement through pairing and mobbing, open source solutions, cloud solutions, dojos and much more.
* We incorporate time for fun and utilize flexible-time-off and work-from-home opportunities to find the right balance of work and life.
What you'll do
As a Data Engineer, you will help to better understand our customers and their interactions using data. The Global Center for Brand and Insights portfolio operates in a dynamic environment supporting a team of data scientists developing advanced analytical solutions. You'll have the opportunity to:
* Leverage your passion for solving problems and enabling high quality solutions. Examples of solutions our Data Engineers enable include: sentiment analysis, predictive modeling, data mining, business intelligence, and customer understanding including segmentation, retention, and risk management.
* Be part of an agile scrum team, collaborating often through pair and mob programming.
* Understand complex technical concepts and translate them into solutions that are understandable and engaging.
* Provide development and operational support for distributed technologies to ingest and process large data sources using Scala, Hadoop, NoSQL, and Java.
* Utilize your leadership and mentoring skills to move the team forward in an ever-changing IT environment.
* Associate's or Bachelor's degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math related field or equivalent work experience (6 years of experience equates to an Associate's degree when defining "equivalent work experience").
* 4+ years of data experience, especially with designing data integrations
* Experience with Functional or Object-Oriented programming, including Scala and/or Java
* Experience designing systems
* Leadership or mentorship experience
* Demonstrated success in a team environment
Additional preferred technical experience with:
* Python, R
* Data Stores such as Hadoop
* Various extreme programming practices
Willing to consider applicants at multiple job levels.
This position may be located in Des Moines, IA or Raleigh, NC.
What's next? Innovation at its finest.
We'll review your application and if you're selected for an interview, you'll receive an invite for a pre-recorded interview experience. Haven't done that before, don't worry. We've got all the tips and tricks available to help you be successful. With a pre-recorded interview, you can add your own flair and personality - at your pace.
Be sure to check your email frequently. We'll communicate our decisions through the email address used on your online profile. If you receive an email from our Principal Talent Acquisition Team, you've been selected to begin your pre-recorded interview experience and have a set time to submit.
Benefits designed with you in mind.
Because each employee is unique, our benefit packages give you lots of choices. We offer comprehensive benefits that helps contribute to the healthy, fulfilling life and gratifying work experience you deserve, at an affordable cost. Click here to see just a few benefits you'll receive once you join our team.
Not an exact match for this role?
We've got a lot of opportunities, so check out some of the others. And creating an email alert on our career site will help you keep you connected and informed of opportunities you're interested in with a just a few clicks!
At this time, we're not able to consider candidates who would need sponsorship now or in the future or those needing work authorization for this role. (This includes students on F1-OPT, F1-CPT, J-1, etc.) However, we'd hope you continue to keep us in mind for other potential opportunities in the future.
Principal is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic partner status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Investment Code of Ethics
For positions with Principal Global Investors, you will be required to comply with a Code of Ethics which covers a number of obligations related to personal and business conduct as well as personal trading activities for you and members of your household. These same requirements may also apply to other positions across the organization.