What you'll be doing...
The Verizon Data Breach Investigation Report (DBIR) is Verizon's flagship Information Security report and is widely recognized and respected in the industry. It is a data-driven report that analyses tens of thousands of security incidents every year to give the industry a snapshot and a guidance document on what is the state of the threat landscape and how to best organize and respond to it.
This position is for a DBIR Core Team member. The team works to create the DBIR every year, curate and maintain our incident data repository, and support analysis requests from internal and external groups. This mission covers a wide range of responsibilities throughout the report publishing cycle, including:
* Finding and on-boarding data contributors for the report - the DBIR would not be possible if not for the data contributors that we have for incident and non-incident data. Creating new relationships with potential contributors and managing the relations with new ones is crucial for the report to be able to have enough data samples to minimize biases and other damaging data-related vices.
* Analyzing and normalizing data - the DBIR incident data is normalized and organized around the VERIS framework (veriscommunity.net). All Core Team members use VERIS to normalize and register the incidents that are to be reviewed for the report, and ar also responsible for its continuous improvement to better represent the growing and evolving threat landscape. The data, once normalized, is queried and analyzed through a programmatic interface in R that provides primitives for charts and statistical tests for all team members to use.
* Writing reports and assisting in supporting its launch - Once the data is analyzed, the report sections are written, set on publishing layout and reviewed to make sure the report statements are correct and supported by the underlying data, including the development of fact checking documents. After launch, team members are involved in extensive work in media interviews, presenting on the results to internal and external groups, and supporting queries about the report itself.
Not all team members need to be experts in all the responsibilities above, but being very strong in one of them and willing to participate in the others will go a long way in making sure you would be a good fit for the team.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
* A degree.
* Ten or more years in the Information Security field.
* Four or more years of relevant Information Security work experience as an industry analyst or a research role involving data analysis and/or report writing.
* A degree in related field.
* Programming skills in R or python.
* Ability to be a self-starting analytical and creative thinker capable of independent work as on assigned projects as well as the ability to partner with a team on collaborative tasks.
* The ability to communicate findings in the form of concise visualizations and written descriptions of the methodology and results.
* Willingness to travel up to 25%.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.