Viasat is in the business to connect the world. We are a global provider of satellite broadband and wireless services, infrastructure, and technology. We securely connect consumers, businesses, governments, and military to the internet anywhere in the world including government and business executive jets. Our more than 4,000 global team members are dedicated to do what others in the industry view as impossible. We imagined and launched the world's highest-capacity communications satellite and continue to set the standard in developing technologies that address the toughest challenges.
We think big, but we act intelligently and locally, and we're not done we're just beginning.
We are building a world class cybersecurity organization to protect and defend a global network. As a member of our Carlsbad, CA based security engineering team, the candidate will have the opportunity to work with the best and brightest security engineers and analysts in a collaborative environment where continuous learning is the norm. We have just starting building our threat hunting team so this is an opportunity to help define it as part of an agile SecDevOps process. There is no such thing as a secure system. Our philosophy is to operate as if we are in a continuous state of compromise. It will be your job to generate hypotheses and then to prove or disprove them using advanced security tools and analytics, including orchestration and automation. The output of hunts will be the development of new capabilities (scripts, correlation searches, cyber playbooks, etc.) that can be used by the security operations center to better defend and protect our networks.
What our ideal candidate looks like
Our cybersecurity organization is currently in need of a security based Data Scientist to join our fast-growing team. The ideal candidate will be intricately involved in running analytical experiments in a methodical manner, and will regularly evaluate alternate models via theoretical approaches. This is the perfect opportunity for the successful candidate to become a part of an innovative and energetic team that develops analysis tools which will influence both our products and clients.
The candidate has a deep understanding of cybersecurity, networking traffic analysis, intrusion detection, offensive security, data science, big data analyses, predictive analytics and computer science with the ability to script in multiple languages like Python (including Numpy, Matplotlib, Pandas DataFrame), R, R-Studio, Matlab, Mathematica, Power Shell and others. We are looking for a "Rock Star" threat hunter to lead, teach, and mentor other members on our team. If you start your hunts from a triggered alert or use an ad-hoc approach, dont bother applying. We are looking for hands-on analysts who can generate excellent hypothesis based on educated hunches, threat intelligence and detailed knowledge of our networks. The candidate will use a methodical and intelligence data driven approach to prove or disprove the hypotheses using qualitative and/or quantitative skills.
This role includes a working knowledge of data mining and statistical analysis, the ability to understand various data structures and common methods in data transformation, pattern recognition and predictive modeling skills to aid in finding threats within the noise. Additionally, it is preferable for the analyst to have a working knowledge of security appliances and professional / open source tools that support threat hunting, including understanding the analysis of competing hypotheses. The scope of this role includes researching attack patterns, threat reports, profiling attackers and their Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs) and risk/threat analyses. In this role, you will interface with many internal security teams to keep up to date with the latest attacks and defensive techniques.
* Dedicated time to perform threat hunting as a normal part of the security analysis tasking
* A security operations center with very talented security analysts
* Challenging and fast paced environment
* A fun and energized team that promotes continuous learning and improvement
* Red team exercises that allow analysts to hone and improve their skills as defenders
* No shortage of attacks from APTs and the most advanced nation states
* Ability to attend major security conferences and events, industry-leading training courses as well as Viasat's custom in-house security training
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience using the Diamond Model and Cyber Kill Chain, but preferably and Masters or Ph.D.
* Minimum 4+ years experience.
* Ability to think like an attacker and a detailed understanding of offensive security
* Ability to perform threat research and profile attackers
* Advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills with a proven ability to quickly analyze large amounts of often conflicting data and making sound decisions
* Ability to not let your cognitive biases influence or effect your hunting, hypothesis generation or hypothesis validation
* Proven track record of successful and innovative hunts that are completed in a timely manner
* Experience using Cyber Kill Chain
* Thorough understanding of how to detect lateral movement within a network and thinking outside the box to discover the signal within the noise
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to simplify findings to brief management and customers
* US citizenship required with the ability to get up to a top secret security clearance
* Master's or PHD Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics
* Excellent analytical skills with an understanding of statistics, probability theory and data science
* Ability to script in other languages and tools, including data science tools like Python Pandas and R/R-Studio or equivalent
* Experience using the Diamond Model
Drive your career to Viasat where every day you know your expertise makes a difference to the company, your team and our customers! If you are excited by this opportunity, submit your resume. It only takes a few minutes and could start you on your new path to a fulfilling career at Viasat.
To learn more about this site and other office locations, please click here!
Years of experience:
Up to 10%
US Citizenship Required
Active United States Secret Clearance
Viasat is a company that offers communications products and services.