About the Position:
Do you ever use your smart phone, or cable TV, or WiFi, or NetFlix account, and wonder how the giants of telecom- Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Amazon, Google and more - possibly sustain the high-speed networks that power our daily lives? Think you've got what it takes to keep up with their demands or - even better - get ahead of their next challenge? Be a true partner? If so - read on.
The Technical Support Engineer reports into the Customer Service & Support (CSS) division of Juniper Networks, specifically as part of a comprehensive Juniper Technical Assistance Center (JTAC). JTAC challenges the status quo to provide multi-tiered services to Juniper's top-tier customers worldwide - customers who test the traditional bounds of what can be done. Those premier customers increasingly rely on Juniper experts like the Tech Support Engineer -- often through Premium Service Contracts that include Focused Technical Support (FTS), typically on a 7x24 basis. In short - our most expert customers can't do what they do without a designated team of senior engineers. And that's you -- with in-depth product knowledge (switching, routing and/or security) and highly focused troubleshooting skills relevant to a customer's particular network.
To meet the challenge, you need extensive experience supporting large-scale networks; as well as broad product knowledge in either routing, switching or security (firewalls). Your ability to troubleshoot network issues; diagnose critical and complex network issues; and learn your customer's infrastructure and technologies; are what bring you applause, success and thanks in the Support organization.
In this position, your primary role is one of "break/fix", where your mastery of in-depth diagnostics quickly brings network assets back online and heads off future problems. As one tool, you replicate customers' problems in Juniper's state-of-the-art lab environment to determine the root cause, verify a fix, and recommend a solution.
It's a little like air traffic control - even an average day requires close attention to detail, and exceptional days bring something new to learn and experience. (Conversely, if you prefer the predictability of banging out 'X' lines of code in your cubicle every day - Juniper has those jobs too. But this is not one of them.)
* Become the focal technical support contact and handle high priority issues for a limited number of customers with Advanced Service contracts, on specific Juniper products
* Take ownership of high priority or sensitive customer issues and ensure prompt service restoration and resolution to the customer's satisfaction, by using a systematic problem solving approach
* Work closely with other CSS teams to ensure knowledge sharing of the customer's networks, issues and solutions.
* Keep CSS management informed of all sensitive issues.
* Work with various technical teams within Juniper regarding new products and feature improvements for reliability, availability, and serviceability
* Work closely with Service Managers to help them gain a good understanding of the technical issues and their resolution
* Escalate cases and develop relationships with engineering to resolve issues in a timely and effective manner
* Participate in conference calls, internally as well as with the customer, to discuss technical escalations
* Develop and maintain skills in core products and technologies, and highlight any need for training as the customer's network evolves
* Provide sound documentation of technical support issues using the available tools, like case management systems and defect reporting tools
* Develop a "Can-Do" attitude and suggest ways to improve the team performance and increase customer's satisfaction
* The candidate will have achieved a level of higher education (Bachelor or Master degree in electrical engineering, computer science or equivalent)
* 4 or more years of working experience in a network support role, 2-3 of these years of which would be spent supporting large IP networks
* Solid working experience with routing and switching technologies: TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, ISIS, MPLS (L2 & L3 VPN), RSVP, LDP, Multicast protocols (IGMP, PIM), Switching technologies (VLAN/Trunking, STP,RSTP,VSTP), Data Center technologies (VxLAN, EVPN), CoS
* Working experience with traffic generators and network protocols analysis tools
* Strong problem solving skills, applicable to large and complex network scenarios
* Strong customer management and customer service skills
* Excellent communication and presentation skills
* Language skills: English (fluent - verbal and written)
* Diplomacy and good customer facing skills to understand effectively address sensitive customer situations
* Experience in Juniper Products like EX, QFX, QFabric is desirable
* JNCIE certified personnel would have a distinct advantage
* Working knowledge of Data Center technologies
* Working experience with: Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS, Scripting languages (Python, Tcl, Perl, Ansible, Puppet)
* Concepts and/or working experience with Anti-virus, Network Management applications
* This is an office environment, with all the amenities - two cafes, a gym, quiet streets to take a walk at lunch, an amazing Dome where we can hold town hall style meetings for up to 1500 employees. Yes we have games like foosball on every floor - but no, it is not a wacky, start-up environment. We hire grown-up professionals and give them great benefits, not free frozen yogurt.
* Juniper has a set of values we call 'Juniper Way' and we take them seriously. It gives us a culture where individuals have a voice and the average employee is sharp but easy to deal with. We don't encourage politics or success at the expense of your fellow employee.
* Our CEO, Rami Rahim, is a Valley star who has been with Juniper almost since Day One - nearly 20 years. He got where he is through talent and humility; a good model.
* If you've read this far - you know you want to be a part of something like Juniper Networks. Apply now!