Engineer III, CPE Testing and Validation
The Engineer III, CPE Testing and Validationis responsible for testing and validation of Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) and backend systems affecting CPE. This role will execute testing for certification of CPE devices and associated firmware, explore emerging CPE technologies, and assist with the management maintenance of the CPE lifecycle. This position is also responsible for creating and maintaining testing standards results and related documentation
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed below:
* Responsible for CPE lab functionality and maintaining related equipment and ensures an environment that is in proper working order.
* Oversees the testing, documentation and deployment of new technologies.
* Develop test cases to account for emerging technology. Assist with continuous improvement of current processes.
* Works with vendors and suppliers to acquire prototype, pre-production and production equipment
* Establish test network environments as documented in test plans
* Perform testing as a means to audit hardware/software functionality of devices in the product lifecycle.
* Works with test automation frameworks and performs basic script creation for test automation.
* Evaluates proposed projects and documents the results of the project upon completion.
* Works with contractors/QA vendors to perform repetitive and saturation testing
* Troubleshoot performance and protocol issues found in development through diagnostic log capture and analysis.
* Participate in weekly bug classification and prioritization with vendors
* Define and report issues to product manufacturers.
* Performs testing and validation of\Coaxial, IP and Fiber to the Home CPE - Cable Modems, ONTs, EMTAs, routers, set top boxes, and WiFi & WiFi mesh devices
* Creates product and service design documentation.
* Mentors junior level engineers.
* Participate in proof of concept design and testing initiatives.
* Participate in the selection of tools, technology platforms and the technical evaluation of third party vendors.
* Other duties as assigned
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent certification or experience.
* Minimum 10 years' experience with computer hardware/software, RF, video, phone and data technologies.
* Minimum 5 years' experience with 3 or more of the following technologies: DOCSIS, IP Video, Terrestrial Video, TR-069 and Wi-Fi Protocols.
* Knowledge of various vendors and system support such as but not limited to Commscope/Arris, Cisco, and Technicolor.
* Strong peer relationship building skills
* Familiar with software lifecycle process including CICD and SCRUM.
* Knowledge and understanding of DOCSIS and associated provisioning systems
* Strong IP background
* TR-069 experience (Used in Remote management of CPE devices)
* Experience with Wireless technology testing which includes Wireless AP's, Routers, Wireless extenders & Wireless standards (802.11b/g/n/ac/ax)
* Knowledge and working experience with Internet of Things (IoT)
* Understanding of Wireless Technology PPPoE, MIMO, QoS Prioritization, Wireless/Wired Network troubleshooting.
* Hands-on experience in network engineering experience, preferably with a Cable Multiple System Operator (MSO) or Internet Service Provider (ISP)
* Experience and an understanding of Fiber-to-the-Premise preferred
* Hands-on experience with CMTS configuration via CLI commands preferred.
* MPEG2/MPEG4 Video experience, HEVC and VP9 preferred
* IP Video platform experience including distribution, app management, and play out.
* Experience working with TCP/IP, UDP, IPv4/IPv6 addressing, Ethernet, DHCP, DNS, ICMP, ARP, NAT, Bridging, Switching.
* Experience with test case management, test methodology and tools is required.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Excellent interpersonal skills
Proficiency in the following is required:
* Group collaboration tools like G-Suite
* Apple Android and Windows OS
* Basic networking skills
* Internet browsers
* Comfortable at CLI
* Basic programming experience
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Regularly required to talk and hear
* Required to use hands to type, handle objects and paperwork
* Required to use close vision and be able to focus
* Must be able to physically move and set up various equipment as required (50 or more pounds)
* Some travel required
WOW! is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Religion/Gender Identity employer
WideOpenWest (WOW!) is one of the nation’s broadband providers, serving residential, business and wholesale customers.