Would you like the opportunity to champion innovative solutions to current and future communications and networking challenges?
Are you a creative thinker who would like to help develop future System of Systems capabilities in the areas of sensor networking and Integrated Fire Control?
Do you enjoy solving complex problems and puzzles?
If so, we believe this may be the opportunity for you and would like you to apply.
We are committed to inventing the next generation of solutions to complex warfare challenges. We want you to help us reach our goal in identifying emerging information exchange needs and develop groundbreaking solutions to support integrated fire control and force-level systems with robust communications solutions.
As a Communications Systems Engineer….
* Your primary responsibility will be to develop innovative methods to support networked operations with robust communications on a variety of platforms and over a wide range of challenging maritime and littoral environments. A large part of this effort will involve current and future communication systems supporting the U.S. Navy (e.g, the Cooperative Engagement Capability and Tactical Data Links).
* You will engage early in system design to understand the performance drivers, anticipate communications requirements, and develop alternatives to meet these requirements.
* You will perform simulation and analysis to refine system concepts, requirements, and design.
* You will provide recommendations to government program management and guide and direct equipment suppliers during design and development.
* You will participate in live system test planning, conduct and analysis, and use the results of this analysis to develop further refinements and new capabilities to support the needs of the program.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Possess a BS degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field.
* Have 5 years of experience in systems engineering work, preferably involving communications.
* Have experience solving complex system of systems problems
* Have proficient analytical and leadership skills.
* Have solid personal and professional communications skills, are comfortable working with staff, management, and sponsors at all levels.
* Can perform effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
* Are willing and able to travel up to five days per month to remote sites and are comfortable working in closed areas.
* Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Possess a MS degree in a technical field.
* Have experience and background in some or all of the following:
* Cooperative Engagement Capability
* System of Systems Modeling and Simulation Tactical Datalinks
* Communications Systems Analysis
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.