Job Posting Description
At Boston Children's Hospital, success is measured in patients treated, parents comforted, and teams taught. It's in discoveries made, processes perfected, technology advanced in major medical breakthroughs, small acts of kindness, colleagues who have your back, and patients who have your heart. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, our reach is global and our impact is profound. Join our acclaimed Information Services Department (ISD) and discover how your talents can change lives; yours included.
Due to the high volume of construction-related activity, we are in need of additional resources to assist with the development and review of low-voltage and audio-visual system designs to support these projects. You will collaborate with members of the BCH Infrastructure and Operations teams to analyze technical needs, as they relate to active construction projects. Based on that analysis, you will develop solutions and communicate with IT teams, engineers, architects and other project resources.
This Communications System Design Engineer will be responsible for:
* Reviewing low-voltage and AV design documents and drawings to ensure consistency with industry and BCH standards and to ensure design accuracy
* Collaborating with IT, Facilities and external design teams to analyze program requirements and develop creative solutions
* Using graphics tools to convey complex concepts visually
* Creating high-level conceptual designs for communication systems, including: Telecommunications Room and rack layouts, Conference room AV systems and furniture layouts, Rack power diagrams
* Creating graphical documentation of communication rooms and conferencing spaces
* Actively develop solutions to communications infrastructure design problems
* Collaboration and development of communications and AV infrastructure standards
* Building-out our NetTerrain infrastructure documentation system
To qualify, you must have:
* B.A./B.S in a technical field related to communications or computer networking.
* Minimum of 7 year's experience in a Telecommunications Engineering or Analysis role.
* Proficiency in the review of Technology, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Architectural drawings (blueprints) to coordinate low voltage and AV system requirements.
* Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software.
* Ability to communicate complex concepts and designs graphically with tools such as Microsoft Visio and PowerPoint. (Work samples will be requested)
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to write, read, understand, and interpret technical documents.
* Capability of critical thinking including problem analysis and resolution at both a strategic and a functional level.
* Ability to work independently and on multiple projects at the same time.
* BICSI RCDD, AVIXA CTS or other relevant certifications are a plus.
Boston Children's Hospital offers competitive compensation and unmatched benefits, including affordable health, vision and dental insurance, generous levels of time off, 403(b) Retirement Savings plan, Pension, Tuition Reimbursement, cell phone plan discounts and discounted rates on T-passes (50% off). Discover your best.
Boston Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.