Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place and now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
Do you love High Performance Computing (HPC)? Would you like to work with four of the fastest HPC systems in the world?
We have an opening for a Cloud Solutions Engineer for Containers and Kubernetes. You will work closely with other High-Performance Computer (HPC) system engineers in support of a Kubernetes solution running within Livermore Computing's HPC environment. You will use vision and drive to solve technical design and deployment challenges in the deployment of a Kubernetes solution in conjunction with HPC. This position is in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division within the Computation Directorate, supporting the LC Supercomputing Center.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
* Collaborate with members of the system administration group, application developers, LC staff, and end users to design and implement a production Kubernetes solution integrated with an HPC environment. Work to ensure full integration with hybrid cloud platform management layer, identity management and R&D infrastructure. The position will require working closely with other LC teams and end-users.
* Develop processes and procedures for efficient operations and monitoring of the Kubernetes environment.
* Support and triage Kubernetes problems within the HPC environment.
* Working with our LC support staff to establish on-going support procedures and documentation for the Kubernetes / HPC solution and educate customers on best practices on containers deployments.
* Support the organization in maturing the HPC Kubernetes infrastructure into a fully automated, service-oriented environment while working with other staff to improve the quality of service for end users.
* Stay up to date on cloud trends (DevOps, containerization, microservices, etc.).
* Participate in installation of software releases, patches of the operating system and Kubernetes infrastructure, and third-party utilities with emphasis on overall system security.
* Analyze, troubleshoot, diagnose and respond to system issues and provide solutions to the identified issues and or user questions in person, via email and via a trouble ticket system.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
* Design, deploy and maintain Object Storage, Block Storage, and File-based storage for Kubernetes Persistent Volumes using independent judgment with minimal direction.
* Analyze performance and implement strategies to improve the operation and efficiency of the computer, network, file system, and disk sub-systems.
* Develop and maintain complex programs and scripts that aid in the operation and automation of administrative tasks.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
* Comprehensive knowledge of the building blocks of Kubernetes and experience with Containers and Kubernetes deployment, testing, and troubleshooting
* Comprehensive experience with IP networking and troubleshooting, knowledge of networking in Kubernetes, and in virtualized environments.
* Proficient with containers, orchestrators and microservices (Docker, Kubernetes, Singularity, Swarm, etc.) and a proficiency in Python and Bourne-compatible shell-scripting.
* Comprehensive knowledge of monitoring and logging with Kubernetes.
* Broad experience with installation, configuration, networking, backups, patching, and/or system security for Linux systems. - Comprehensive experience with version control and configuration management systems, such as subversion, git, puppet, cfengine, and Ansible.
* Proficient communication and interpersonal skills necessary to efficiently work with members of the system administration group, application developers, LC staff, and end users.
* Ability to work off-hours and on-call (intermittently either as needed or as part of a rotation).
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
* Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
* Advanced knowledge of networking architecture with an understanding of L2 vs L3 networking, and VxLAN and VLAN.
* Master's degree in computer science or related field.
* Strong knowledge of how Kubernetes Platform operates (service discovery, deployments, monitoring, scheduling, load balancing), as well as experience in an HPC environment.
* Knowledge of continuous integration via tools such as Jenkins and Wercher.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.