The Chief Scientist for the Networked Signal Processing (NSP) Technical Area within the Sensor Processing and Exploitation (SPX) Product Line will provide technical Research and Development (R&D) leadership in the area of RF Signal processing as it applies to communications, radar, signals intelligence, electronic warfare, spectrum utilization and optimization, and RF cognition all in a distributed, coherent multi-static networked environment.
* Developing, steering, influencing, fostering and mentoring technology ideas, strategies, vision, and roadmaps for creating innovative and discriminating research concepts which solve current and future pressing military and commercial needs. This individual will work closely with each group within NSP to shape our technology thrusts integrating Department of Defense (DoD) and Intelligence Community (IC) mission needs, science and technology priorities, and BAE Systems product roadmap projections. This includes influencing government R&D investment decisions as well as BAE IR&D investment portfolios.
* Additionally, this individual will create conduits of collaborative research across the other technical areas within SPX, which include maritime (surface and subsurface), ground, air and space systems. A Chief Scientist is expected to work seamlessly between these different domains providing expertise in signal processing applied to these other domains through collaborative teaming.
* Responsible for exploring untapped electromagnetic phenomenology giving rise to new capabilities especially as applied to the most challenging of problems. At a minimum, this should include understanding and exploitation of yet untapped atmospheric modalities. This should include techniques of both distributed coherent and non-coherent techniques as applied to communications and multi-static radar technologies. This should include indoor and outdoor phenomenology and its exploitation.
* Firm understanding of RF hardware design to include sophisticated apertures, Adaptive RF Front End Filter design with integrated PA and LNA, RFICs, ADCs/DACs and digital baseband processing. This individual will have demonstrated the ability to not only perform simulations to generate results but has also implemented on hardware to generate over-the-air evidence for the algorithms developed
* Proactively engage with BAE Systems Business Areas to facilitate transition of technology to operations and BAE Systems products. Build relationships with Business Area technical and management staff to facilitate technology transition and collaboration.
* Lead technical marketing efforts and provide technical leadership for new business capture activities. This includes direct engagement with DoD and IC R&D customers to shape and create new business opportunities. This includes formulation of technical concepts and marketing of those concepts to our customer, leading technical teams on proposal efforts and authoring proposals.
* Serve as Principal Investigator and Technical Lead on critical programs. Lead technical teams on R&D programs that typically include 10+ engineers and scientists. Ensure successful execution of technical objectives for these R&D efforts in close collaboration with Program Management. This role includes direct customer engagement to shape the R&D efforts, ensure alignment to customer objectives and to ensure customers are briefed on technical progress and status. This candidate will include an extensive background in customer engagement and a large professional network in which to draw from.
* Serve as an independent technical reviewer of critical R&D programs. Reviews include assessment of program approach as well as assessment of plans for execution including research, design, analysis, modeling and simulation, implementation, integration, test plans, and transition plans.
* Provide mentoring to the technical staff in the organization to ensure we are developing our next generation of technical leaders.
Locations include: Arlington VA; Burlington, MA; Merrimack, NH; Reston, VA
About Bae Systems
BAE Systems is a global company engaged in the design, development, manufacturing, and support of defense and aerospace systems.