The Business Technical Analyst primarily focuses on incident response and resolution for all of the Retirement Division's systems. With minimal supervision or guidance, the BTA independently uses product and system knowledge, investigative techniques, data analytics, querying, and automation to quickly respond to impacted parties, research potential causes and solutions, and/or find or create alternatives or workarounds to get business operations back up and running. When IT involvement is required, the BTA works with the business to define requirements, scope their needs, assess priority and impact, and test any solutions or system fixes.
* Research, investigate, and analyze system incidents with a sense of urgency, and prepare high quality and detailed documentation describing an incident, analysis performed, and results.
* Use querying and data analysis to identify and assess the impact of system issues.
* Address informational requests and maintenance support work.
* Document business requirements, estimation requests, user stories, and test steps and cases.
* Develop, enhance, and maintain end-user computing or semi-automated tools for the business (e.g., Access databases, VBA macros, Excel reports, SQL programs).
* Evaluate and test possible solutions for system incidents, and prepare step-by-step instructions for the business to use.
* Maintain and update information within the request tracking system and electronic task management board.
* Provide leadership and guidance to a small team of 1-5 BTAs.
* Other tasks and projects as assigned by the manager.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
Minimum Years of Related Work Experience Required:
3-5 years' experience in customer service, system support, data analysis or other support/analyst type role.
Specific Industry and/or Specialty Experience Required:
Demonstrated proficiency to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions through deductive reasoning. Possesses a strong grasp of relational databases. Demonstrated experience with either MS Access or SQL Server writing advanced SELECT and GROUP BY statements. Advanced technical expertise in Microsoft Office. Experience with using and/or supporting mainframe systems, Microsoft Dynamics, or AWD.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Possesses strong oral and written communication skills. Able to quickly learn new systems and software programs with minimal training, documentation or guidance. Understands operating with a sense of urgency and excellent customer service. Works well in a team environment, as well as independently. Operates well with minimal supervision, and can manage their time and priorities in a demanding environment.
Education/Experience/Licensing Training/Skills/Abilities PREFERRED:
Insurance or financial services industry background. Experience with automating processes, whether through Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macros, keystrokes programs, or other software. Bachelor's Degree in business or Information Systems. Significant experience with using and/or supporting mainframe systems, Microsoft Dynamics, or AWD.
Symetra is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we're guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they're getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what's right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
Learn more at www.symetra.com/careers.