WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities and one of the best places to live in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees not only work hard, but also work smart, looking for new and innovative ways to efficiently provide the highest level of service to our community. We also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-generated values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). The organization is filled with servant-based leaders at all levels who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Business Systems Specialist reports to the Development Manager and assumes a strategic role in the continued success of the Development Services Division including the Building Inspections, Code Services, Engineering, and Planning Departments. This position is responsible for the coordination of the implementation, modification, upgrading, data visualization/reporting, testing, and staff training of the EnerGov land management system (including other future software solutions integrated into the Division). The Business Systems Specialist works closely with Division staff and subject matter experts, and will act as lead subject matter expert, coordinating modification requests with the Information Technology Department to ensure optimal performance of integrated software solutions.
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
* Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
* Contribute to a positive work culture.
* Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
* Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
* Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
* Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Maintains an extensive knowledge of the Development Services Division's land management system's functionality while simultaneously maintaining a broad understanding of the services offered by various Division-wide employees and how the two may correlate. This knowledge will be utilized as the foundation for renewed and consistently clear communication and interaction between internal departments and external customers.
* Acts as the single point of contact and liaison between the Development Services Division and the Information Technology Department regarding the organization, prioritization, and implementation of software modification requests, upgrades, and testing of the EnerGov land management system (and other future software solutions integrated into the Division).
* Advocates for Division staff by persistently troubleshooting and following through on the resolution of system/application issues with the IT Department.
* Continuously builds on a strong working knowledge of Division processes to provide innovative and proactive guidance to staff regarding the integration and utilization of various software applications in coordination with the IT Department.
* Initiates research and locates data sources within applications which may be analyzed and interpreted to help realize improved operational efficiencies, and communicating findings back to the Division.
* Coordinates and creates ad-hoc reports and database applications from SQL data generated within EnerGov or other integrated applications, customized to meet the needs of the Division and/or customer, and develops procedures and documentation regarding how to use newly created reports.
* Proactively pursues feedback from customers, identifying improvements, and implementing enhancements to improve the customer experience and their interaction with Division applications.
* Identifies and coordinates the implementation of ways to automate manual activities within EnerGov and other applications.
* Creates application upgrade and testing plans with defect tracking for the Division and coordinates system maintenance and upgrade activities with customers.
* Performs verification tests on systems related to new applications, upgrades, and updates into the test system to ensure continued functionality.
* Coordinates the transition and implementation of new software or updates to existing software and provides training opportunities and documentation for Staff to ensure optimal system usage regarding new application features.
* Manages appropriate software permission levels for the Division, coordinating with the IT Department as necessary.
* Assists in the evaluation and selection of new software application integrations.
* Produces consistent, error-free work based on defined parameters.
* Complies with all written City policies and procedures.
* Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
* Travels to meetings, trainings and City events as necessary.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
* Dedication to embracing and embodying the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
* Ability to forge strong professional relationships with internal staff and external customers, in an outgoing and friendly way.
* Ability to quickly gain job knowledge and technical competency through collaborative training and supportive coaching from management and peers.
* Possess an intermediate knowledge of SQL and data mapping with the ability to create reports using Microsoft Report Builder, and is able to utilize high level programming languages such as R or Python.
* Possess excellent technical and analytical skills including experience with statistical analysis.
* Skill in analyzing business processes and policies, and creating recommendations for improvement.
* Ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment.
* Offer helpful, organized, and supportive communication to employees, managers, and other members of the public.
* Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing regarding job knowledge and expertise.
* Capable of maintaining a steady and consistent pace, promoting accuracy and quality throughout repetitive tasks.
* Exhibits flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
* Ability to maintain a holistic view of the overall system when working towards a specific solution.
Bachelor's Degree in any development-related field (ex: Engineering, Architecture, Planning, etc.) with a minimum of 20 credit hours of computer science classwork; or a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Information Systems, Applied Science in Information Technology, or a related field.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
* Must pass a drug screen and background check.
* Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require visual and sound perception and discrimination and oral communications ability.
Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.