KATERRA is a technology company transforming property development, design, and construction-from start to finish. We are building an entirely new kind of company that brings together expertise in design, technology, material sourcing, manufacturing, and construction as a single integrated offering.
With this unique approach, we have the opportunity to design and build beyond compromise. Beautiful, efficient, sustainable-we can do it all. The era of design concessions is over.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of KATERRA's cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. KATERRA does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. KATERRA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
Team: Building Sciences
Building Sciences is a small, diverse team within the technology group at KATERRA. We leverage first principles rigor to drive successful Katerra products and projects.
* We provide specialty engineering services including acoustic, envelope, and energy performance/compliance to support the design and construction of KATERRA projects
* We inform product requirements for KATERRA teams to guide early phase product development, testing procedures, and performance validation
* We serve as core science and engineering experts to KATERRA and external clients
Though we are a science-driven team, Building Sciences day-to-day practice is very applied. As a result, we leverage tools and theory to challenge assumptions and drive innovation, but we also gather data and insights from factories and jobsites to calibrate with current practice.
Role: Building Scientist
The Building Sciences team at KATERRA is looking for a smart and energetic candidate that wants to dig into complex building challenges, then work passionately and collaboratively to define constraints and point the way to innovation. The candidate should possess strong expertise and experience in at least one relevant Building Science domain (acoustics, building energy performance, enclosures, reliability) and be curious about and equipped with skills to support other domains.
The Building Scientist should be able to work independently on projects, be able to multi-task effectively, and be energized by a fast-paced, dynamic work environment. The candidate should be excellent at advancing from preliminary ideas into a well-structured workplan and timeline. The candidate should also be adept at stitching together tools and workflows to collect data, develop models, simulate performance, crunch data, and elegantly present findings.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The candidate will:
* Work closely with Senior Building Scientists to coordinate, document, and communicate New Product Introduction (NPI) progress and drive effective decision-making. Examples of these initiatives include:
* Multifunctional assemblies with densely packed mechanical and plumbing system components
* A robust environmental intelligence platform for KATERRA buildings
* Developing onsite energy solutions (e.g. solar)
* Support the development of engineering services deliverables with rigorous first principles analysis in their areas of expertise (acoustics, energy, enclosure)
* Collect data from field and factory prototypes and everyday operations to clarify requirements and expose opportunities
* Develop product requirements documentation, work with commercial partners to review and refine, then initiate collaboration to deliver new solutions
* Drive preliminary business cases for emerging technology solutions in collaboration with KATERRA subject matter experts and business analytics team
* Create and deliver compelling, technology strategy presentations to internal stakeholders and partners on a variety of topics
Required Skills & Experience
* BS, MS, and/or PhD in Building Science or related field
* 5+ years of relevant experience in distributed renewable energy development, building engineering, architecture, or product development
* Proven competence with building science simulation tools (energy, solar, acoustics, and/or enclosure)
* Excellent writing, organization, and visual communication skills
* Team player driven by a desire to make better buildings
* Ability to navigate within large organizations and leverage internal stakeholders to create impact
* Ability to communicate complex design concepts clearly and quickly using either manual (sketches, mockups, etc.) and/or digital tools (Sketchup, Adobe, etc.)
Preferred Skills & Experience
* Experience with the New Product Introduction (NPI) process
* Experience with residential/commercial solar design and development strategy
* Experience developing product or technology requirements
* Strong network within the building science community
* Knowledge of the building code and sustainability frameworks
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.
Katerra is a technology company that offers optimization of building design and construction.