Barnes & Noble College is a retail partner for nearly 800 colleges and universities nationwide. We offer a retail environment like no other - uniquely focused on delivering essential educational content, tools, and merchandise within a dynamic retail environment on campuses of higher education. Our teams interact directly with our customers including students, faculty, administration, alumni, and the general public to provide outstanding customer service to sell or rent books, general merchandise, and an array of technology products and services for an academic community.
As an employee in the Tech Shop you will work as an on-site technician who will lead and mentor other student technicians in providing computer repair services to campus community customers. You will perform in-shop repair on a wide variety of computers and peripherals using advanced computer and electronics repair techniques and test equipment. You will engage with customers to explain, advise, and assist them with making appropriate technology purchases.
* Ensure that quality service is provided in a timely manner; resources are effectively utilized; service technicians are properly trained and equipped; and that warranty services are conducted for full reimbursement from manufacturers.
* Follow established procedures to obtain parts, complete the timely return of defective/replaced parts, prepare accurate quotes, invoices, and billing.
* Consult with third party vendors for technical information and repair solutions and know when to notify management for highly technical service requests.
* Remain knowledgeable of new and emerging technologies, diagnostic, and test procedures.
* Ability to communicate technical requirements/information into useful application for non-technical buyers.
* Shelve, arrange, and categorize product according to specific criteria.
* May provide periodic assistance with processing sales transactions involving cash, credit, or financial aid payments.
* Temporary positions require weekly availability for a short term basis of 90 days or less.
* Frequent movement within the store to access various departments, areas, and/or products.
* Frequent lifting and moving of personal computer hardware.
* Frequent reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
* Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods.
* Candidates must be a minimum of 16 years of age to be considered for employment.
* Experience in a retail setting, marketing, and/or IT preferred.
* 2-year experience as a computer repair technician; an equivalent combination of education, certification and experience will be considered.
* A+ and/or Apple certified or able to achieve certification within 60 days required.
* Experienced with Windows 7, 8, & 10 & Apple O/S & IMac.
* Must have hardware diagnostics and repair experience.
* Basic programming and web page development maintenance a plus.
* Experienced with parts ordering and inventory control.
* Knowledgeable of and able to use POS sales, billing, and inventory systems.
* High energy, self-starter who is adept at work on independent and on team tasks.
* Friendly personality, with strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Outstanding customer service skills to work with vendors, customers, and team members.
* Above average math and computer skills.
* Flexibility in scheduling is necessary.
Barnes & Noble College is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.