Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our team is expanding rapidly and we're looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
Invitae is looking for a Bioinformatics Engineer to join our Production Team. You will work alongside software engineers, clinical geneticists, and lab scientists to further deliver on our mission to bring genetic information into mainstream medical practice. You will be engineering tools to better analyze and visualize clinical genomic data, evaluate data quality, and automate lab and bioinformatics processes. Our ideal candidate is an organized problem solver with an eye for automation, and equally excellent communication skills. At Invitae, we are using genetics to improve healthcare for everyone. Working with us will give you an opportunity to use your technical skills to do real and tangible good -- impacting the lives of patients, families, and future generations to come!
What you will do:
* Recognize and address software automation opportunities and scalability bottlenecks
* Develop web tools to visualize and interact with genomic data
* Communicate with Users, Computing, and other Development teams
* Troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively
* Able to work flexible hours and shifts to support production
What you bring:
* BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, another science or equivalent experience
* Proficiency with one or more languages in a UNIX environment (eg. Bash, Python, Java)
* 3+ years' experience with SQL, and/or Datomic databases
* 3+ years' experience with Python and web programming frameworks (eg. Django, Flask, ORM)
* 1+ years' experience with NGS bioinformatics (eg. Picard, GATK, pandas, R) or molecular biology benchwork
* Good team player, but able to work effectively and independently
Preferred qualifications and experience
* Experience with DevOps or related fields (eg. Docker, Fabric, version control)
* Experience with data visualization (eg. matplotlib, D3)
* Familiarity with Atlassian solutions
* Experience with NoSQL
* Experience with LIMS and working in a Lab environment
By joining Invitae, you'll work alongside some of the world's experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We've created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
InVitae provides genetic diagnostics for hereditary disorders.