What you'll be doing...
The Global Security Operations Center (GSOC) is part of Security. The mission of the GSOC is to protect the brand equity of Verizon by communicating cyber intelligence to decision makers via three key processes:
* Data Collection.
* Event Analysis.
* Information Reporting.
The Big Data Software Engineer will help develop new platforms and services for the GSOC as well as enhance and support existing services, using Hadoop ecosystem, RDBMS and various other technologies.
What you'll be doing:
* Cleanse and process large raw data sets using Hadoop ecosystem and RDBMS technologies.
* Design and develop web-based Java platforms and services to process, store, and serve large volumes of data at scale.
* Help with ad-hoc requests from business partners for reports based on data residing in Hadoop or RDBMS.
* Work closely with front end web application and database developers.
* Analyze business requirements for complex projects.
* Develop proof of concepts of new technologies and evaluate the state of the art in large-scale data processing and distributed computing.
* Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills to explain and document ideas.
The regular schedule is weekday business hours but irregular hours may be required in response to important projects or operational emergencies.
This position will require 24/7 on-call readiness as directed by GSOC management.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Four or more years of relevant work experience.
* Experience with Core Java, Scala or Clojure.
Even better if you have:
* Master's degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering.
* Knowledge of Apache Hadoop ecosystem.
* Experience developing with MapReduce, Pig, and Hive.
* Knowledge with spark.
* Experience developing in NoSQL databases such as HBase, Cassandra, or Accumulo.
* Experience with RDBMS including one of mysql, postgres, MS SQL, or Oracle.
* Strong scripting skills in shell, python, perl, or ruby.
* Experience with best practices in software development including agile methods, code review, unit/functional/integration testing, continuous integration/deployment.
* Experience with the Linux.
* Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
* Machine learning or probability/statistics.
* Information retrieval with Solr/elasticsearch/mapreduce.
* Operating distributed applications at scale including instrumenting, collecting, and visualizing metrics.
* Core Java expertise or expertise in another JVM-based language.
* Knowledge with scala.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications is a broadband and telecommunications company operating 4G LTE network, 3G network, and information services.