We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
A backend engineer on device security specializes in designing, developing and maintaining the backend infrastructures and services that ensure the security of Square's hardware products, including our Readers, Stands, and custom Android devices like Square Register and Square Terminal. Backend Device Security Engineers are involved in all phases of hardware development, from design through development, and from prototyping through production manufacturing. We are looking for smart, motivated engineers who want to build, refine, and occasionally break amazing things with us.
* Design, implement, and build code-signing services to ensure only Square software will run on Square devices
* Design, implement, and build device provisioning services to securely provision cryptographic secrets and keys into Square devices
* Work with embedded software engineers, security engineers and factory test engineers to secure Square devices end-to-end
* Advocate for better security practices throughout Square
* A passion for building systems that secure hardware devices
* Experience in software architecture and engineering
* Experience in designing, deploying, and monitoring critical production systems
* Background in applied cryptography or interested in learning it
* Experience with PCI security standards (including DSS and PTS) and/or FIPS 140-2
* Experience with Hardware Security Modules (HSMs)
* Experience with distributed systems
* Experience with securing cloud platforms
* Experience with microservices
At Square, our purpose is to empower - within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Square is a company providing software, hardware, and financial services products.