BAAM - AWS Database Architect, Vice President
Blackstone is one of the world's leading investment firms. We seek to create positive economic impact and long-term value for our investors, the companies we invest in, and the communities in which we work. We do this by using extraordinary people and flexible capital to help companies solve problems. Our asset management businesses, with approximately $440 billion in assets under management, include investment vehicles focused on private equity, real estate, public debt and equity, non-investment grade credit, real assets and secondary funds, all on a global basis. Further information is available at www.blackstone.com. Follow Blackstone on Twitter @Blackstone.
Business Unit Overview:
Blackstone Alternative Asset Management (BAAM®), Blackstone's Hedge Fund Solutions platform, is the world's largest discretionary investor in hedge funds, with approximately $77 billion in assets under management. BAAM manages a diversified set of businesses including a customized solutions business, a special situations platform, a hedge fund seeding business, an open-ended mutual fund platform and a business that purchases stakes in established alternative asset managers. In all of BAAM's business lines, it carefully selects and partners with fund managers across a variety of asset classes and strategies to create solutions for its investors. Through its sharp focus on clients' goals, a rigorous due-diligence process and access to Blackstone's global insights, BAAM strives to generate attractive risk-adjusted returns across market cycles while preserving capital during stressed market environments.
AWS Database Architect, Vice President
The BAAM data science team is looking to break the mold and reinvent the way infrastructure and data is handled in a traditional Windows environment. You should be the type of person that never wants to do the same thing by hand more than once and adept at thinking outside of the box to push forward inventive and scalable solutions - what may work for a handful of servers may not scale well across a thousand servers. As a contributor to this team, you will be taking an owner's share of SQL and No-SQL infrastructure through automated cloud processes that are both serverless and in instances/on-premise. As an owner, you will be responsible for working together with the team to flush out business requirements, technical design, implementation, testing, release, and support. While the main role is primarily focused on data and SQL, you will also be expected to contribute in the normal day to day tasks of the team as well. Success on our team is measure through delivering scalable and robust automation solutions via thoughtful design and code.
* Data warehouse architecture
* Performance tuning
* Ensure SQL Server is performing to the best of its abilities for each application
* Proactively work with teams to tune their queries
* Production support and long-term resolutions
* Proactive monitoring of instances
* Homegrown or 3rd party
* Build robust automation
* Management of our SQL infrastructure
* Contributions to overall team automation goals (Puppet and homegrown efforts)
* Participate in an on-call rotation
* Mentor our off-shore team and coordinate work with them
Blackstone seeks to hire individuals who are highly motivated, intelligent, and have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors as well as:
* AWS cloud experience (RDMS/Aurora)
* A passion for simplifying complex processes.
* Strong desire to take ownership in helping to grow a great team and organization - everyone is responsible for bettering the team and themselves.
* Self-starting, entrepreneurial attitude to continually improve existing applications as well as drive to create new ones.
* Advanced knowledge of supporting SQL Server in an enterprise environment
* HA/DR strategies (clustering, mirroring, log shipping, replication, AlwaysOn)
* SQL Server engine/query tuning
* Enterprise-class server/storage knowledge a plus
* Master of administration domain (permissioning, database maintenance, backup/restore)
* Previous experience with supporting mission-critical instances
* Substantial automation expertise/tool building in MS SQL
* Bonus points for fluency in Python
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other category protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete your application, please contact Human Resources at 212-583-5000 (US), +44 (0)20 7451 4000 (EMEA) or +852 3656 8600 (APAC).
The Blackstone Group and its affiliates provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital or partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic predisposition, veteran or military status, status as a victim of domestic violence, a sex offense or stalking, or any other classification prohibited by applicable law.
To submit your application please complete the form below. Fields marked with a red asterisk * are required in order to enter into a possible employment contract (although some can be answered "prefer not to say"). Failure to provide this information may compromise the follow-up of your application. When you have finished click Submit at the bottom of this form.
About Blackstone Group
Blackstone Group is a multinational private equity, alternative asset management, and financial services firm.