Requisition ID: 44652
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Air Force is transforming its space enterprise with warfighting-focused initiatives to maintain U.S. space superiority in the 21st century. As an astrodynamics and mission design analyst, you'll be a key member of teams that are developing innovative new missions and capabilities to ensure the U.S. can defend, fight, and win in the space domain. The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a full-time astrodynamics analyst for a position located in El Segundo, California.
The qualified candidate will provide astrodynamics analytical support to government customers as they transform current missions and invent new capabilities. Emphasis will be in the areas of constellation coverage and orbit analysis, space debris, space situational awareness (SSA), and space traffic management (STM). Customers include the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), HQ AFSPC, the Space Security and Defense Program (SSDP), and others.
* Conduct a range of modeling, simulation, and analysis in areas such as space mission design, orbital maneuvers, orbit estimation, space debris, and space situational awareness
* Develop and mature analysis software tools
* Interact directly with Aerospace program office personnel and government customers in El Segundo and collaborate closely with Aerospace personnel in other locations
* Provide technical expertise in the modeling and analysis of space systems and their broader system-of-systems architectures
* Conduct trade studies and comparative performance assessments of system and architecture alternatives to inform customer investment decisions/recommendations
* Occasional travel is required
* Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
* Advanced degree in engineering or science from a recognized institution
* Strong technical background in orbit mechanics/astrodynamics
* Experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis
* Expertise in one or more of the following technical disciplines required: space mission analysis and design, orbital propagation and perturbations, orbit estimation, orbital maneuvers, launch vehicle and satellite operations, collision risk and debris analyses, missile defense analyses, and modeling and simulation
* Proven ability to interact effectively with colleagues
* Excellent written and oral (briefing) communication skills
* Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
* Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in teams
* Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
* Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages/tools: C, C++, Python, Matlab, SIMULINK, Fortran, Java
* Experience with rendezvous and proximity operations or formation flight
* Experience with optimization techniques and their application to trajectory optimization and/or multi-objective optimization
* Experience with modeling the performance satellite payloads and/or space surveillance sensors
* Prior aerospace-related work experience for a U.S. government agency or contractor
Transcripts are required for this position.