The Associate Director of Data Engineering leads the team for the development of Consumer Reports' data architectures and data management systems. This role leads the team of data engineers and architects that support Consumer Reports' data management strategy. Responsibilities for this position include working closely with the business team, project management, QA and other engineering teams to ensure the successful execution of new projects while also sustaining and improving ongoing operations.
* Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field with 7-10 years of relevant professional experience
* Experience leading activities to support data management systems, data architecture and database development.
* Expert in building large scale data warehouses and data lakes (i.e. Snowflake)
* Expert in Data Modeling (Relational, Dimensional etc).
* Expert in developing ETL processes and complex data migration strategies.
* Expert in one or more programming languages for data analysis (Python,SQL, R, Unix Shell Scripting) and using modern data analytic techniques.
* Experience working in an agile development environment with excellent communication and collaboration skills.Experience with Cloud Technologies (i.e. AWS)
* Familiarity with Business Process Management suites (i.e. Appian)
* Familiarity with different relational and no-sql databases (i.e. Oracle, Mongo, Redshift etc)
* Familiarity with Data Visualization Tools/Libraries - Tableau, D3 etc.
* Familiarity with one or more distributed version control systems and hosting services - Mercurial, GIT, GitHub, Stash etc.
* Familiarity with Content Management Systems (CMS) and Digital Asset Management (DAM) systems.
* Knowledge and experience working in projects involving Data Science, Machine Learning, complex Data Analytics is a plus.
* Develops and implements the data engineering strategy, ensuring it aligns with CR's overall strategic plan and the technology roadmap.
* Manages staff involved in the design, implementation, operations and support of various databases, data warehouses, data lakes, content repositories, and other data management systems & applications.
* Directs the activities of data architects, data engineers and DBAs in the areas of task scheduling, technical data architecture, design, development and implementation of data management best practices.
* Leads the development efforts relating to databases, content repositories and data feeds including data transformations, cleansing and mapping; hands-on participation in development when needed.
* Uses a variety of commercial and open source technologies to provide application functionality to internal customers, including data entry and integration.
* Helps to streamline development by contributing to the implementation of a continual integration process, automating manual processes, and stamp out defects.
* Collaborates with business leaders and other IT groups to prioritize projects and maximize the effectiveness of data engineering technologies in supporting business strategy and operations.
* Manages requests from the businesses working with IT project managers to ensure project objectives are met according to schedule.
* Maintains knowledge of open source and emerging data engineering technology trends to evaluate business and technical opportunities in the adoption of new technologies.
* May work on multiple, complex projects in a lead or subject matter expert role.
* Responsible for hiring, development and evaluation of applications development staff; coaches and mentors staff.
* Performs other duties as assigned.