Associate Director, Ad Tech & Customer Intelligence Engineering - Recommendations Systems
Wayfair's Recommendations Systems team maintains a shared service for personalizing content. It's employed throughout the customer experience to provide high-quality recommendations with consistency in voice and messaging. We help data scientists get their work in front of customers and work with other teams to get the most out of our offerings. We serve approximately a half billion recommendations every day.
We're looking for an experienced engineering leader to join us. Our team is growing quickly. It's important for us to gain velocity and stability as we do so without sacrificing quality. The Associate Director for Recommendations Systems should be a guide through this process, helping the team develop necessary capabilities and building a healthy, resilient organization.
Our team is intensely collaborative. We work with business analysts, data scientists, and product managers. Engineers write primarily Python. Aerospike, Airflow, Hive, memcached, MSSQL, Redis, Vertica are other important tools.
What Your First Month Would Be Like:
* Establishing relationships with your peers on the product team and those on other neighboring teams.
* Coaching tech leads through running sprints.
What Your First Year Would Be Like:
* Identifying new workstreams to incorporate into your product area.
* Identifying points where the product and engineering roadmaps don't align.
* Ensuring that the right information is available to make high level architecture and technology decisions.
* Guiding managers through handling career development topics with their reports.
* Maintaining healthy collaborative relationships within your team and setting a high bar for performance.
Why This Job Might Be For You:
* You care about technology, but you don't care about it for its own sake. You're not married to specific tools. You're comfortable moving up and down the stack to solve problems.
* You care about your team. You learn together and you focus on the facts to drive decisions.
* You care about the customer. You won't be happy if you're blindly executing on specs.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
* 10+ years industry experience with at least 8 years in a software engineering leadership role
* Demonstrated technical leadership capability (code reviews, scrum, etc.)
* Track record of building highly functional teams
* Demonstrated ability to make and execute platform level technical decisions
* Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically
* Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights
* Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the senior leadership level
* Deep understanding of Product/Engineering partnership
* Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
* Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
* Strong academic record (strong preference for technical, quantitative, or scientific backgrounds)
Wayfair is one of the world's largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we're reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you're looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you'll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We're a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair - and world - for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair (formerly CSN Stores) is an online retailer of home products for bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen and dining, home entertainment, bathrooms and more.