We're looking for an Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing (ASIAS) senior leader to direct the daily operations of the ASIAS Trusted Third Party (TTP), as well as to plan, lead, and deliver the changes needed for ASIAS to deliver on its future vision. ASIAS is a joint government-industry, collaborative information sharing program to proactively analyze broad and extensive data sources towards the advancement of safety initiatives and the discovery of vulnerabilities in the aviation system. MITRE is the TTP for ASIAS and is responsible for the stewardship and analysis of data that is used to assess the safety of aviation.
MITRE's ASIAS team comprises approximately 60 engineers, analysts and software developers that develop, maintain and utilize unique analytical tools for the purpose of aviation safety analysis, and engage with the broader aviation safety ecosystem to collaborate on safety-related insights and analytic results. With an emphasis on digital flight data, text-based reports and radar surveillance data, MITRE has developed recognized expertise in using big data analysis to respond to the needs of the worldwide aviation safety community.
The program manager will work closely with the ASIAS portfolio manager on strategy, multi-year planning, and engagement for ASIAS; with the business manager to ensure efficient program and resource management; with department managers to ensure quality, skills, capabilities, and resource needs are met; and with project/workstream leads to ensure successful execution and mission impact. In addition, they will interface with multiple FAA lines of business to connect technical work execution with sponsor needs and foster external relationships with industry stakeholders to understand and address critical aviation issues.
* Key Functions
* Serves as the leader of the daily operations of the ASIAS Trusted Third Party Partnership
* Maintains a forward-looking and strategic posture, continuously identifying future needs and opportunities, searching for and adapting innovations in how ASIAS operates, and responding by making required adjustments/changes as needed, all with a focus on becoming more efficient and effective operators of the ASIAS TTP.
* Provides direction to ASIAS project/workstream leads ranging from strategic and broad in nature to more tactical and specific and ensures alignment across ASIAS work areas to achieve mission impact
Serves as the main contact and escalation point with the sponsor on program-wide matters related to management, delivery, and operation of the PPP.
* Accountable for managing the scope, budget, risk, performance of ASIAS (with the assistance of the ASIAS business manager) and leads decision making on tradeoffs related to scope, schedule, and cost
* Ensures the TTP carefully and rigorously responds to new and evolving needs/requests/requirements and makes well-considered decisions on priorities, work shaping, and resources based on a holistic understanding of impacts to the program;
* Accountable for MITRE's engagement with the FAA ASIAS Program Manager, who is responsible for financial management of ASIAS, ensuring ASIAS has a 5-year plan, developing requirements for ASIAS 3.0, etc..
* Accountable for project management, from initial project sizing/scoping through execution.
* Proactively identifies changing talent needs for ASIAS and coordinates with the program and Tech Centers to obtain and on-board the right talent.
* Supports the ASIAS Portfolio Manager, FAA, and stakeholders in developing an ASIAS 5-year plan
* Interacts with FAA sponsors and stakeholders to understand their requirements and articulate our results, with sensitivity to sponsor perspective.
* Required Qualifications
* Strong leadership skills
* Strong communication skills, in particularly communicating the implications of complex technical information in common language
* proven ability to build relationships with sponsors and stakeholders
* Strong data analysis skills and ability to explain technical issues in plain language
* Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to have difficult conversations
* Experience with leading and managing a large, complex operational entity
* Experience balancing competing needs of program stakeholders against internal resource constraints.
Master's degree in engineering or related technical field and 15 years of professional experience in aviation-related profession. Experience in big data analysis and public private partnerships
Experience with building and sustaining IT production systems
* Understanding of NAS operations
* Minimum Education/Experience
BS and 10 years related experience.