The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is actively seeking an Artificial General Intelligence Researcher for the Intelligent Systems Group. APL is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
The Intelligent Systems Group (ISG) at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers focused on developing the next generation of intelligent systems for the U.S. Government. Disciplines within the ISG include artificial intelligence, applied neuroscience, machine learning, autonomy, robotics, and data science.
We are seeking a highly motivated research scientist to lead and contribute to the broad area of artificial general intelligence, including novel learning and reasoning systems, cognitive architectures, neuromorphic computing, neurally-inspired artificial intelligence, knowledge representation, transfer learning, and reasoning under uncertainty.
1. Conduct original algorithmic research in novel machine learning architectures and computational methods to overcome key technical barriers for the development of artificial general intelligence capabilities in the areas of data paucity, uncertainty, domain adaptation, and adversarial perturbations. (60%)
2. Develop, apply, implement, and demonstrate artificial general intelligence research applied to real-world applications in robotics and autonomy, data science, neuroscience, and health and medicine. (20%)
3.Provide input to team leads and other researchers to help define research vision and inform technical direction, and support reporting of accomplishments and contributions to sponsors and research community. (10%)
4.Prepare scientific manuscripts and whitepapers summarizing results to communicate impact of research, develop concepts of operation with mission relevance, and engage with sponsor and stakeholder community. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
* Ph.D. in Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computational Neuroscience, Optimization, or related field and 5 years of experience.
* Demonstrated ability in selecting, developing, and applying artificial intelligence and reasoning approaches to complex challenges.
* Fluent, with hands-on experience, in at least one of the standard development tools/languages such as Python, Java, C /C, MATLAB, and R.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to articulate complex technical issues effectively and appropriately for a wide range of audiences.
* You are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information.
* Security clearance eligibility requires you to be a U.S. citizen.
* Demonstrated capability to carry out original research beyond incremental application of existing techniques, as evidenced by publications in premier conferences.
* Research records that illustrate in-depth understanding of underlying theory necessary to develop novel algorithms to address unique real-world challenges.
* Extensive experience in developing and applying artificial intelligence algorithms in application settings such as robotics, autonomous systems, neuroscience, and healthcare.
* Research experience with advanced machine learning research topics such as deep reinforcement learning, unsupervised and semi-supervised learning, imagination-augmented planning, integration of deep learning and knowledge-based reasoning, and adversarial machine learning.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.