It is an exciting time to be building experiences and devices at Microsoft. There is no organization in the world that is better positioned to fundamentally change the way that people live and work. The future of productivity is collaborative, intelligent, and embedded in the world around us. Help shape the rapidly evolving productivity landscape by conducting the research needed to create next-generation intelligent systems and drive the company's collective bold ambitions for productivity forward.
As a member of the Experiences and Devices Applied Science team, your core mission will be to deliver research that fundamentally impacts Microsoft's products and services. You will also contribute to the scientific community and beyond through presentations, publications, and other outlets (e.g., blogs, press interviews). We are looking for candidates who are smart and creative, as well as self-driven, curious, and comfortable with ambiguity. The successful applicant will collaborate closely with people across Microsoft's product teams and Microsoft Research, and have the opportunities see their ideas realized in products and services that are used worldwide.
We seek applicants from researchers across all areas of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and related fields and a passion for product impact. Examples of current research directions include:
* Machine learning and optimization
* Deep learning
* Reinforcement learning
* Natural language processing
* Neuro-symbolic systems and reasoning
* AI fairness, transparency and ethics
* Program synthesis
* Machine teaching
Successful candidates will have a PhD and an established research track record as demonstrated by publications at top international research venues and open source software. Scientific leadership as demonstrated by participation on program committees is desirable. Candidates should also have a deep understanding of software system principles and the ability to lead and partner with others to ship developed technology.
* Education: PhD in Computer Science or related engineering or science fields required
* Expertise in developing or applying predictive analytics, statistical modeling, data mining, or machine learning algorithms, especially at scale
* Excellent problem solving and data analysis skills
* Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
* Strong software design and development skills/experience
* Strong collaboration skills, both within-team and cross-team
As part of your application please attach your CV and the names and contact information of at least two established researchers familiar with your research who will be willing to write an academic letter of reference. Of these, one letter should come from your advisor.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Pushing the state of the art of Microsoft's products and services via experimentation and hypothesis testing. Many of the things you try should lead to unexpected outcomes. You must be comfortable learning from experience, developing new hypotheses, and iterating.
* Working with people in a range of roles, including researchers, engineers, designers, and other key product stakeholders. Serving as a bridge between research and product.
* Sharing your research with others via a range of means, including publication, to enable others to build on your work and to contribute to the reputation of our products as cutting-edge and science driven. Communicating complex ideas clearly
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.