Argonne National Laboratory is searching for a talented Application Developer to join the Business and Information Systems (BIS) Directorate.
The Software Developer applies computer science to solving complex and integrated problems, analyzes requirements for management information, recommends and designs the means for meeting those requirements, either by revising existing systems or developing new ones. In this role, you will work with business partners as principal investigator to analyze their needs and define a project scope. The role designs and develops application interfaces by setting expectations and priorities throughout the development life cycle; determining design methodologies and tool sets; completing programming using languages and software products; and designing and conducting tests. The Software Developer is expected to apply best practice enterprise architecture principles in the design process. You may provide technical leadership on specific projects and coordinate work of other technical specialists. This role is tasked with recommending system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and commercial, cloud-based solutions.
A successful candidate will be able to work both independently with minimal guidance from immediate supervisor as well as engage with others in an agile team environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
* Knowledge of computer technology especially the computing environment used at the Laboratory.
* Knowledge of web services and enterprise service bus architectures.
* Knowledge of relational databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, and SQL tools.
* Knowledge of software development life cycle, agile development, software testing and debugging.
* Knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform and technologies is preferred.
* Knowledge of enterprise architecture methodology such as TOGAF is preferred.
* Ability to have a user-oriented outlook.
* Ability to understand and follow organizational best practices and standards.
* Ability to produce secure, reliable, and extendable code.
* Ability to stay up to date on new internet/intranet technologies and software products.
* Skills to perform effectively in a service role and balance multiple work assignments to meet deadlines by appropriately organizing his/her available time.
* Demonstrated oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to initiate and foster collaborative relationships both internally and externally.
* Ability to model Argonne's Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This requisite level of knowledge and skill is typically achieved through a Bachelor`s degree in computer science or equivalent and 3 or more years' experience developing and maintaining applications systems, with two or more years of recent experience in developing sizable multi-user business systems.
This role may be hired as a level 2 or 3. The level will be determined by the final candidate's level of education, experience, and skill.
* At a PT2 Level: Bachelor's and 2+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree or equivalent.
* At a PT3 Level: Bachelor's and 4+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree and 2+ years or equivalen
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.