Staples is looking for an Android Software Engineer to join Staples Devices/IoT Engineering team in Retail Print and Marketing Team to help drive technical innovation within the Staples. The expectations of the prospective candidate will be the design, development, testing, implementation, and support of applications and related integrations. In this role, the ideal candidate will engage in iterative development, testing, and make contributions to the growth and development of one of Staples fastest growing areas. This energetic individual will partner with both technical and business teams on multiple initiatives and collaborate to deliver new features and enhancements.
* Participate and gather deep technical expertise in all mobile areas as they relate to Android platform including but not limited to Android and Android Internals.
* Develop in-depth knowledge of several Staples business processes and systems environment
* Act in the capacity of a software engineer to actively participate in the definition, design, development, testing and implementation of software functionality using the Agile methodology
* Create or modify complex programs, modules, routines, scripts and data objects from a detailed design where efficiency, performance and reliability are critical
* Work with and advise both business and technology teams (internal and external) on how best to implement desired features and enhancements
* Ensure that technical solutions follow best practices, are reliable, are easily maintainable and are scalable under sustained load
* Participate in design and code reviews
* Collaborate to identify, isolate and resolve malfunctions related to software
* Conduct knowledge transition on solutions to the designated application support team(s)
* Create and evolve application documentation as required
* Operate in compliance with IT standards, policies, procedures, and best practices
* Bachelors degree (CS preferred) or equivalent work experience
* 0-2 years of related software development experience
* 0-2 years of full software development lifecycle experience including the ability to perform independent analysis
* 0-2 years of development experience in Java 8
* 0-2 years of experience developing applications in Android Studio, Retrofit, Gradle and Android OS.
* 0-2 years of experience in SQL and developing applications with relational database technologies
* 0-2 years of experience with development of Native Android apps on the platform
* 0-2 years of experience working with web services (SOAP/HTTP, REST), Retrofit
* Strong analytical abilities and a strong intellectual curiosity
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Strong time management and organization skills
* Ability to balance multiple priorities at a given time
* Must be team oriented and have a customer service mindset
* Self-driven, able to work independently or within a team setting
* Results oriented and adaptable
* Experience with any of the following: Agile/Scrum, open source technologies, responsive application design, continuous integration using Jenkins
* Experience with Service Oriented Architecture
* Familiarity with Quality Assurance methodologies and automated testing using tools such as Selenium
* Exposure to working in a retail, manufacturing, or print solutions
* Experience working directly with non-IT business partners
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.