At Packaging Corporation of America (PCA), we think of ourselves as more than a box manufacturer. We are an ideas and solutions company. We seek to be the leader in helping our customers - large and small - package, transport and display products of all kinds. It just happens to be that corrugated products are our area of expertise.
At PCA, you'll find the best people in the industry operating in a "golden rule" culture. We actively promote mutually rewarding relationships with each other and our customers by advocating respect for every individual, ethical and fair practices, and the highest standards in what we say and do. PCA is proud to have a highly skilled and experienced team leading the way.
As a Fortune 500 company and one of the largest producers of containerboard and corrugated packaging products in the U.S., PCA offers customers broad expertise and economies of scale, while our multiple plant locations let us rapidly meet the local needs of our customers.
We are seeking resumes for an ANALYST-DATABASE in our Lake Forest, IL office.
This is a Temp to Hire opportunity.
Database Analyst is responsible for administering, managing, and monitoring Microsoft SQL Server databases primarily and Oracle databases additionally with the end goal of ensuring that PCA database management systems are running at peak performance, are secure, recoverable and fully upgraded. This position requires technical level expertise as well as the ability to interface with users of all levels.
PCA is the fourth largest manufacturer of containerboard and corrugated packaging in United States and third largest producer of uncoated freesheet in North America. PCA is an ideas and solutions company. We are a leader in helping our customer package, transport and display products of all kinds. PCA embodies a culture of continuous improvement and, as such, is dedicated to developing adaptable and reliable computing solutions. The Database Analyst is responsible for managing the backend database for PCA's proprietary applications across all business units.
* Help upkeep database systems to ensure they are secure and operational companywide.
* Setup database backups and perform ad hoc backups of database objects upon request.
* Check and perform database recovery procedures upon failure of production systems, and/or activate standby systems if applicable.
* Install, upgrade, and apply patches to the database systems.
* Work with the team to investigate, determine and help resolve database performance related issues.
* Work with systems software personnel to resolve operational problems between the operating system and the database system
* Host development/test database environment for developers to carry out application testing.
* Carry out data modifications to databases as directed by helpdesk personnel.
The Database Analyst is required to make independent decisions based on sound industry practices and existing corporate regulations. The Database Analyst is expected to drive performance of the team to meet goals. The Database Analyst is expected to take general directions, and from those directions make decisions as to his/her approach to completing assigned projects and is expected to determine how to operate and conduct assigned tasks within the established standards and procedures.
Interactions with Customers and Contacts
Internally, the Database Analyst works closely with the application development and hardware system teams to execute assigned projects and provide database expertise. The Database Analyst works closely with the application development team in carrying out complex projects and provides training and guidance to System Analysts. The Database Analyst has limited external interaction. However, any interaction with customers and vendors is governed by PCA's business philosophy of meeting needs and exceeding expectations for customers and by PCA's Commitment to Service of doing what's right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
* College degree (B.S.) in computer science or related degree.
* 3-4 years database administration experience with Microsoft SQL Server DBMS required. Experience with Oracle RDBMS preferred.
* Good understanding of SQL and constructing SQL statements in SQL Server systems primarily and Oracle systems additionally.
* Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, networking/connectivity issues, security issues etc.
* Experience in Database Backup, Recovery, Replication and Disaster Recovery.
* Familiar with developing T-SQL and PL/SQL scripts for creating database objects and data manipulations.
* Achiever, self-motivated, self-responsible, and accountable.
* Ability to follow standard processes and communicate effectively with the team regarding technical, progress and critical issues.
* Solid written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong problem solving, organizational skills, and decision making skills oriented on obtaining desired results.
* Willing to provide support in evenings and weekends and be available by company supplied phone.
PCA provides a competitive comprehensive benefits package.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
* Pay Type Salary
* Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA